Western Michigan University impacts the globe positively. We are a community of learners committed to human dignity, sustainability, social responsibility, and justice. Our campus embraces a diverse population of students, faculty and staff who develop learners and leaders who are locally oriented and globally competent, culturally aware and ready to contribute to world knowledge and discovery.
To engage globally, students can:
- Get involved with activities, events, and news with a global focus
- Help with welcoming efforts
- Interact with other cultures on campus and in the community
- Study, intern, or volunteer abroad
- Take courses with a global focus
- Attend lectures and events with an international focus.
- Follow non-mainstream news sources from other countries, set up social media feeds from sources that cover or are located in other countries, and stay geographically oriented by identifying current the locations of current events.
- Stay in-touch with units on campus with a global focus and WMU faculty who are globally engaged.
Get involved in a service-learning or volunteer project with local communities representing other cultures or local non-profits involved in global affairs.
- Interact with international students through joining a registered student organization with an international focus, inviting someone from another country to be your roommate, and helping international students practice English.
Serve as an international student orientation leader, a paid position.
- Take major, minor, or elective courses with a global focus.
- Pursue minor with global focus to accompany your degree.
- Study a foreign language as a major, minor, or elective.