English and Writing Support
The following are options for international/domestic graduate students who would like to strengthen their
- Graduate Center for Research and Retention: Provides one-on-one writing support to WMU graduate students, especially those writing the dissertation and thesis. For additional information regarding the numerous resources available to graduate students and to arrange for an appointment, contact Dr. Marianne Di Pierro, Director of the Graduate Center, via email: email@example.com or via phone at (269) 387-8249.
- Center for Academic Success: Provides free one-on-one writing assistance for class assignments or personal writing to WMU students in all disciplines, including graduate students. Graduate students enrolled in programs at regional campuses or in on-line classes may take advantage of telephone or Skype consultations. Visit the Writing Center website http://wmich.edu/writingcenter for more information or to make an appointment using their online scheduler.
- Mentoring for Success: (269) 387- 4799. This is a
state-funded program offered out of the Office of Multicultural Affairs. It is advertised for undergraduates in special target populations, who will be given priority; however, the program is also available to international graduate students, after the target populations have been served, as well. There are no fees. http://www.wmich.edu/peermentoring
- Department of English/CELCIS: The following are two undergraduate-level
courses that may also provide a benefit to students interested in enhancing
their English/writing skills; however, they are each 5-credit hours, which represents a significant cost to international students. Some countries may agree to sponsor the fees for their students, but inquiries must be made beforehand.
- ENG: 3600/ Academic English
- ENG: 3610/Proficiency in English
- CELCIS Tutoring: offers tutoring, but fees are attached in a range from approximately $20.00 to $40.00 per hour. Please refer to the CELCIS Tutor's List on the CELCIS website: http://wmich.edu/celcis/forms.
- Bernhard Center Bulletin Board: Postings by students willing to tutor in English/writing, as well as postings by students in need of tutorial support appear on the wall located near the bank.
Contact Dr. Marianne Di Pierro, Director, Graduate Center for Research and Retention, or call (269) 387-8249 for more information.