All students enrolled at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College and Davenport College are eligible to receive health care services at Sindecuse Health Center. In addition, spouses of WMU students and their children 12 years of age or older may access our many professional services. Campus visitors and camp participants are also welcome for acute care needs.
All Western Michigan University employees, spouses and dependents 12 years and older are eligible to use our cost-effective and convenient services for acute care and preventative visits, regardless of eligibility status for other University employee benefits. Faculty and staff are expected to have a primary care provider to whom results can be sent. In addition, they may use our comprehensive pharmacy, sports medicine and physical therapy services. All services are offered on a fee-for-service basis at a cost savings to faculty and staff and to the University.
Western Michigan University students enrolled in five or more non-exempt credit hours for fall or spring semesters (four or more credits during summer I or summer II sessions) are automatically assessed a Student Health Fee as part of the University's Enrollment Fee.
Western Michigan University students enrolled for fewer credit hours, students from Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Ferris State University pharmacy residents and Davenport College, eligible spouses and children may buy-in on their first professional visit to the health center each semester or session or opt to pay non-member rates. Health care coverage runs from the first day of classes of one semester or session to the first day of classes the following semester or session.
Please call (269) 387-3293 for information about buy-in fees as they vary by semester and enrollment status.
The Health Center accepts cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover or debit cards (with a logo on them). WMU students may charge to their University account; a service charge is assessed by the University for any unpaid charges over 45 days. All fees under $1 must be a cash transaction. We submit claims to some insurance companies. Bring your insurance information with you.
- Employees and dependents covered by the University plan (currently Blue Cross/Blue Shield) will have most charges billed directly to the University.
- Dependents with insurance coverage other than the University plan may also use the Health Center. Some insurance carriers may be courtesy billed, but it is the responsibility of the patient for payment of services.
- Blue Care Network or PHP members may use Sindecuse Health Center for any services. Pharmaceuticals will be billed directly. Sports Medicine Clinic and all other services will be billed to PHP and BCN with appropriate primary care physician referrals.
- Charges for Medicare-covered retirees will be submitted directly to Medicare. Please bring your card with you.
- Express checkout is available for your convenience.
- We submit charges to several insurance companies as a courtesy. Call (269) 387-4303 to learn if the Health Center can bill a specific carrier for you. We bill only primary insurances.
Health care for children
Children aged 12 years and older
Children aged 12 and over of enrolled students can be seen at the Health Center and have access to our many professional services. Health care for children requires a membership fee charged on the first professional visit to the Health Center each semester or session. Health care coverage runs from the first day of classes of one semester or session to the first day of classes the following semester or session.
Children under 12 years of age
Children under the age of 12 can be seen at private family practice pediatric offices throughout Kalamazoo. Pediatrics and Family Practice at Western Michigan University School of Medicine accepts new patients with Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross Blue Shield, or other commercial carriers as well as some HMOs.
Family Practice Clinic