In response to a changing health insurance environment and to meet student requests for affordable coverage, WMU is making some changes in the way it offers access to insurance.
- The University’s agreement with Aetna Student Health to offer student health insurance will end on Aug. 23, 2015.
- Sindecuse Health Center staff have identified plans available for purchase by international students which offer access to health center services and meet J-1 visa requirements. Options identified promote choice and individualization.
- Health center staff continue to monitor the changing insurance market and will provide updates as they learn of new offerings.
All domestic and international students are advised to carry health insurance. Employees who are international students will obtain and maintain health insurance as required by the U.S. government (J-1 visa holders) or as per the Affordable Care Act:
- Minimum of $100,000 coverage per injury or sickness (including hospitalization, surgery, mental health, prescription medicine, physical therapy and pregnancy)
- Annual deductible can be no higher than $500
- Must be translated into English
- Must have at least $50,000 medical evacuation and $25,000 repatriation benefits
Sindecuse staff members are ready to assist students in making their decision to purchase insurance products. When selecting insurance to purchase, be sure to review our insurance participation list to see if the insurance you are selecting is accepted at the health center.
Health insurance information sessions
The Haenicke Institute has set up a series of sessions to advise international students about changes to health insurance. All meetings will be held in Bernhard Center room 211.
Tuesday, Sept. 8, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 10, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 14, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 17, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
If you have questions about finding insurance coverage, please contact the health center administrative offices by email or call (269) 387-3266. We are happy to assist you. Domestic students may decide to seek coverage options on the Healthcare.gov insurance exchange or Healthy Michigan Plan websites.
If you are comfortable starting the process at Healthcare.gov or Healthy Michigan, we will be ready to help. If you have questions at any point in the online application process, save your application and contact Sindecuse by email or call (269) 387-3266.
International student options
The summaries in the PDF of plans identified are for review and comparison purposes only. For more information or to purchase a plan, follow the link provided to each company's website.