Bronco NetIDs are issued with a temporary password which must be activated before the account can be used. To activate your password, visit the gowmu.wmich.edu login page and click set a new password link. When you activate your password, you will set a new password and be prompted to create a challenge phrase. This will allow you to reset your password if you've forgotten it. All future password changes may also be done on the GoWMU login page. Passwords will expire 365 days after each change*.
* Employee (faculty and staff) passwords will expire six months after each change.
Choosing a new password
New passwords must be a minimum of eight, maximum of 24, characters long and must contain at least three of the following:
- uppercase letters
- lowercase letters
- punctuation (do not use ' " or blank spaces as they may not work with all University systems)
Note: passwords are case-sensitive and words found in the dictionary, or based upon your name or username, may not be used. See password guidelines
Multi-layered password security
In response to phishing attacks and to provide a more secure login environment, WMU has adopted a multi-layered security image and security word login system. Please select an image and word if you have not yet done so. If the image or word presented to you at login do not match your selection, do not enter your password and contact the Help Desk.
Bronco NetID/password security
- Never share your Bronco NetID password with anyone. To do so would allow others to access your email and confidential personal information in GoWMU and other Bronco NetID authenticated services.
- No WMU staff person should ever ask you for your password and if they do, you do not have to give it to them.
- Do not send personal information by email.
- If you receive an email asking for your password, and it appears to come from a valid WMU office, do not comply. Contact the Help Desk if you have any questions about the validity of any such message.
- Do not enter your password if the word or image you selected does not match the word and image presented to you.