GoWMU, Western Michigan University's portal, displays information to the user by their role at the University, i.e. student or employee, etc. Information is presented in the form of Tabs and within those Tabs, a series of Columns and Channels. Certain channels are set to display by default but other channels can be activated or deactivated depending upon the user's preference.
- Logging in to GoWMU
- Viewing the contents of GoWMU
- Managing content layout
- Adding a new column within a tab
- Adding channels within a tab
- Moving columns and channels within a tab
- Deleting tabs, columns, and channels
- Enter your Bronco NetID and click Enter*
- Verify your security image and word. If they match the image and word you selected, enter your password and click Login
- When you login, the contents of the Home tab are presented to you by default. Within this tab you may browse the available channels.
- To view the contents of a different tab, click on the tab name.
- You may minimize a channel by clicking the minimize icon.
- And you may focus a channel by clicking the focus icon.
- If the close channel icon is bold red, you may close it. If you choose to close a channel, it will be removed from that tab until you choose to replace it via the editing mode (see editing tabs below). If the icon is not bolded, it is a mandatory channel and may not be closed.
- For a listing of channels that you may add, see the Channel Guide located in column 2.
You may configure the content and layout of your GoWMU view by adding, moving, and removing tabs, columns, and channels. To do so:
- Click the Content Layout link located on the left just below the GoWMU banner image.
- Click the tab you wish to edit.
- To change the position of the tab, click the right or left arrow next to the tab name. The Home tab may not be moved.
- To add a new tab, click the Add Tab button on the right of the current tab names.
- Enter a Name for the new tab, e.g. My Stuff.
- Select the type of tab you would like to create.
Traditional tabs will create an empty tab in which you create your own columns and channels. Default tabs are traditional tabs. You may change its contents later.
Framed tabs allow you to display the contents of any Web page that you would like to view - you simply enter the URL of the website in the space provided. No further editing is required.
- Select the location where you want to place the new tab. The bubble you select represents the place inbetween the two surrounding tabs.
- Click Submit.
- Click the tab you wish to add a column to.
- Click Add Column on the left.
- Select a Column Width, if you desire, and click Submit. A new column will be created.
- To add a channel within a column, click Select Column and then click Add Channel. If you want to create a channel alone, within a tab, just click Add Channel.
- Choose a category from which to select your new channel and click Go.
- Choose a channel from the list presented and then click Add Channel. The new channel will be created.
- Click the tab you would like to edit.
- Move columns and channels within the tab by clicking on the directional arros next to the Select Tab button and inside the channel place holder boxes. Arrows that are faded may not be used.
- When you click the name of a tab or channel, or click the Select Column button while in the Manage Content Layout view, you will be shown an option to Delete this channel.