All computers being used at Western Michigan University must have an IP address. To receive an IP address, you must be registered to use WMUnet, Western's network. To register, simply open a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.). You should be automatically taken to the registration page. (Note: computers of students living in residence halls or WMU apartments will be taken care of automatically by use of software that validates each computer as it is connected to ResNet, the Residence Hall Network). (See network access control frequently asked questions).
All computers registered must have a current version of anti-virus software installed, with up to date virus definitions, be current with security and OS updates, and have automatic updates enabled. Symantec Endpoint Protection is provided for download at no charge to employees. Other products are provided for students. See the downloads channel in GoWMU.
- Install Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Enable antivirus and update virus definitions
- Update Windows and enable automatic updates
- Update Mac OSX
To register to use WMUnet you will need to know:
- Your Bronco NetID and password.
- The first and last name of the person owning/using the computer being registered.
- The phone number of the person owning/using the computer.
- Building name and room number of where the computer is located.
- The operating system used by the computer being registered.
You will be shown the WMUnet acceptable use policy and you will be asked to accept it. If you do not accept it, you will not be allowed to register.
After submitting the registration form, reboot your computer and registration should be complete. If you have problems, please contact the Help Desk at (269) 387-4357, option 1.
After submitting the registration form, reboot your computer and registration should be complete.