For Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 computers used primarily off-campus; If you are using Windows Vista, please email the Help Desk from your wmich.edu email account to request special installation instructions. Please note whether the computer is used on-campus or off-campus.
If you need help deciding which version to use, please read the Symantec Campus versus Off-Campus guidelines.
Please read these instructions before you attempt to install the software. Remove any third-party anti-virus software you may have installed before beginning this installation. It is not necessary to uninstall older versions of Symantec before installing the newest version from GoWMU. This install should be scheduled during Help Desk hours in case you need assistance.
- RAM: 512 MB minimum, 1 GB recommended
- Hard drive: 850MB
- In the Software Downloads channel in GoWMU select Symantec Endpoint Protection and choose Download Symantec Endpoint Protection for Windows Off-Campus Computers.
- Click the appropriate download link for your 32-bit or 64-bit OS.
- Click Save if prompted.
- When Endpoint has finished downloading, right-click the .exe file you just downloaded and select Run as administrator* from the menu. Select Yes if you receive a warning “allow the following program to make changes”.
* Not necessary if you are running Windows XP
- Multiple progress bars will be shown as the program installs and there will be a delay between them. Please wait and do not cancel the installation.
- Once the progress bars have completed, you may see Windows notifications that Symantec is not running. Please continue to wait for the LiveUpdate application to start.
- The LiveUpdate Application will start and begin to update the anti-virus definitions. Once LiveUpdate has finished, click the Close button and restart your computer.
- See the using anti-virus software page for instructions on running virus scans.