On Friday, Oct. 11, the Western Michigan University College of Health and Human Services will host a program and reception to honor and recognize 10 alumni and induct them into the Outstanding Alumni Academy. The event, which is part of the college’s 2013 Homecoming celebration, will begin at 4 p.m. and will take place in Room 4010 of the Health and Human Services Building.
The public is invited, and those who would like to attend are asked to call (269) 387-2663 or email email@example.com in advance. Parking for guests will be free in lot #104 adjacent to the Health and Human Services Building.
The following WMU College of Health and Human Services Outstanding Alumni will be honored:
- Bronson School of Nursing: Jennifer A. Dentler, M.S.N., Spirit of Women Coordinator, Allegan General Hospital (B.S.N., 1999)
- Gerontology: Rosamond Robbert, Ph.D., Associate Professor Emerita, University of Illinois at Springfield (Graduate Specialization, 1981)
- Integrative Holistic Health and Wellness: Melissa Spamer, L.M.T., Owner/Therapist, Lotus in the Flame - Yoga & Healing Arts (Graduate Certificate, 1999)
- Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, Ph.D.: Stephanie A. Combs, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Physical Therapy, University of Indianapolis Krannert School of Physical Therapy (Ph.D., 2009)
- Interdisciplinary Health Services: Brad B. Gordon, M.P.A., R.N., Retired, Faculty Specialist I and Internship Coordinator, WMU BS-IHS (B.S., 1979)
- Occupational Therapy: Margaret L. Hunter, M.S., Occupational Therapist, Kalamazoo Public Schools (M.S.O.T., 1984)
- Social Work: Carrie Pickett-Erway, M.S.W., President/CEO, Kalamazoo Community Foundation (B.S.W., 1995; M.S.W., 1999)
- Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse: David L. Russell, Ed.D., Private Practitioner and Consultant (Graduate Certificate, 1980)
- Speech Pathology and Audiology: Michael J. Flahive, Ph.D., Chair and Professor, Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders, Saint Mary's College (M.A. Aud., 1971; M.A. S-LP, 1973)
- Speech Pathology and Audiology: Candis M. Warner, Ed.D., Private Practice Psychologist and Speech-language Pathologist (M.A. SL-P, 1970)
These alumni join 78 other College of Health and Human Services graduates honored as Outstanding Alumni since 2002. “We are proud of our alumni and grateful for their achievements and contributions in health care and human service,” states Dean Earlie M. Washington. “They are an inspiration to current students and faculty, representing excellence in their fields and the effectiveness of our teaching-learning efforts over the years.”