Outstanding customer service should be a goal for all CHHS faculty and staff, whether the "customer" in question is a student, a colleague, or anyone from elsewhere in the University. The College of Health and Human Services Outstanding Customer Service Award is part of a systematic and ongoing staff recognition program intended to empower WMU staff to help themselves and their peers and to encourage extraordinary customer service, promoting a friendly environment at the college.
- The award recipient will receive a $500 award (gross).
- Recognition on a plaque on display at the college.
- A simple clock is passed from one recipient to the next.
Who is eligible?
- Any current College of Health and Human Services staff employee (non-faculty).
Who can nominate?
- College of Health and Human Services faculty, staff and students.
Nomination process and guidelines
- The award is given in the fall of each year and presented at a college-wide celebration in November or December.
- To be considered, nominations should be submitted by 5 p.m., Nov. 15.
- Nominators should be thorough and articulate. Give specific examples about how a nominee meets selection criteria.
The following eight staff service goals for customer service apply to all College of Health and Human Services staff members and the primary criteria for the service award.
- Offer assistance to diverse groups with varying needs.
- Introduce yourself in person and on the phone, and identify your college, department, school or area to unknown callers and people.
- Listen to people intently.
- Let people know that their efforts are appreciated.
- Follow up if you refer someone to another staff member.
- Solve problems and respond to complaints without blaming others.
- Respond to inquiries and requests the same day if possible.
- If possible, escort people who ask for directions to their destination.
- Quality, thoroughness and persuasiveness of nomination.
- Number of times the staff member has been nominated in previous calls for nomination.
- Length of nominee's service with the College of Health and Human Services.
- A committee of previous award recipients selects the recipient.