The College of Health and Human Services Outstanding Customer Service Award is part of a systematic and ongoing staff recognition program intended to empower Western Michigan University staff to help themselves and their peers and to encourage extraordinary customer service, promoting a friendly environment at the college. The award institutionalizes the College of Health and Human Services staff service goals as standard behavior and raises consciousness on the "front-line" level of customer service.
- Any current College of Health and Human Services staff person (non-faculty)
Who can nominate
- College of Health and Human Services faculty, staff and students
- The award recipient will receive a cash award of $250 and a clock that is passed from one recipient to the next.
Nomination process and guidelines
- The award is given in the fall of each year and presented at a college-wide celebration in November or December.
- To be considered, nominations should be submitted on a nomination form by the date and time required on the call for nominations and nomination form.
- Nominators are encouraged to be thorough and articulate, using examples as to how a nominee meets the range of eight staff service goals, the primary criteria.
- Individuals who wish to support a nomination are encouraged to submit letters of support that are thorough and articulate as to aspects of the nominee's customer service. Letters of support should be submitted by the date and time nominations are due.
The following eight staff service goals for customer service are the performance criteria for all College of Health and Human Services staff members and the primary criteria for the service award. Staff members who best exemplify these goals will be recognized with the Outstanding Customer Service Award.
- Offer assistance to diverse groups with varying needs.
- Introduce yourself in person and on the phone, and identify your college, department, school or area to unknown callers and people.
- Listen to people intently.
- Let people know that their efforts are appreciated.
- Follow up if you refer someone to another staff member.
- Solve problems and respond to complaints without blaming others.
- Respond to inquiries and requests the same day if possible.
- If possible, escort people who ask for directions to their destination.
- Quality, thoroughness and persuasiveness of nomination
- Quality, thoroughness and persuasiveness of support for nomination
- Number of times the staff member has been nominated in previous calls for nomination
- Length of nominee's service with the College of Health and Human Services
- A committee of previous award recipients selects the recipient.