History majors may apply for and receive an "Honors in History" designation on their official transcript.
At the time of application, history majors must have:
- completed 30 credit hours in history including 6 hours in writing-intensive or 4000-level history courses,
- completed at least 90 credit hours overall,
- have completed at least half of all credit hours and all writing-intensive and 4000-level history courses used for the Honors designation at WMU,
- have a minimum overall WMU GPA of 3.5, and
- have a minimum history GPA of 3.75.
- History honors application or pick up a form in the Department of History Advising Office, 4451 Friedmann Hall.
- Include a current unofficial transcript
- Submit a letter of recommendation or an“Honors in History” evaluation rubric from a faculty mentor
- Submit a substantial writing sample that shows capacity for original thought in the interpretation, analysis, and effective communication of historical information.
- Turn all information into the Department of History director of undergraduate studies at the beginning of the last semester prior to graduation.
A committee of Department of History faculty will consider all applications for Honors in History. If you are eligible for the Honors designation, the Department will notify the you in writing and instruct the University Registrar to enter the Honors in History designation on your transcript. If your GPA falls below the required minimum for Honors in History, the designation will be