We are looking for Graduate Teaching Assistantships (4 positions) and a Graduate Non Teaching Assistantship (1 position).
Graduate Teaching Assistantship (4 positions)
Positions available will be two-thirds time requiring 200 hours of commitment distributed over each semester and will reimburse for 6 credits of tuition.
This appointment requires an enrollment of 6 credit hours. The award reimburses students for some tuition and other educational expenses, and provides a small salary. Students must be admitted to a graduate level Master degree or certificate program.
HOL 1000: Choices in Living classes are large (200 students per section) and Teaching Assistants are an essential part of the team. There are five sections. Preference will be given to students who are enrolled in the Holistic Health Care Program, or who have taken Holistic classes, but others are encouraged to apply.
- Attend all classes (75 min. classes in Sangren) in one section and support instructor you are assigned
(in addition you need to be available 15 minutes before and after your section to interact with students)
- Current class times: Tuesday/Thursday 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, and 2:00, or Monday/Wednesday 2:00
- Correspond with, arrange, confirm, and thank guest speakers
- Periodically facilitate class discussion, presentations, and meditation/relaxation
- Hold weekly office hours
- Regularly correspond with instructor
- Assist instructor in answering student questions, and responsibly handle student concerns
- Check WMU email regularly to answer student’s concerns/questions
- Assist instructors to create and administer exams
- Grade and record reflection papers, exams, Wellness Assessment, all parts of the Finding Meaning Joy and Happiness Project, and extra credit activities (these are unevenly distributed throughout the semester).
- Manage database for grading
- Post grades via e-learning
- Attend periodic HOL 1000 team meetings
- Some additional departmental responsibilities may also be requirement periodically throughout the semester
- Correspond regularly with other TAs and instructor to ensure consistency in the grading process
- Work with instructor to update course materials and assignments, as needed
- Acquire knowledge of campus and community resources and update as necessary
Graduate Non Teaching Assistantship (1 position)
Two-thirds appointment, 13.5 hours a week, academic year appointment, 6 credits of tuition paid and a stipend.
This appointment requires an enrollment of a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester. The award reimburses students for tuition and a small stipend. Students must be admitted to a graduate level degree or certificate program. Preference will be given to students who are in the Graduate Certificate program or have taken holistic classes, as well as those with strong organizational skills, and interest in the field of holistic health. Others are encouraged to apply.
- General office duties: word processing, proofreading/editing, copying
- Information management: Adjunct, Faculty, Alumni and Advisory Board relations
- Handling and e-mail inquiries
- Update social media with current program news
- Advise and recruit students
- Help plan and organize department events
- Attend staff meetings, prepare and distribute minutes
- Help with general planning
To apply, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest indicating the type of Graduate Assistantship you are seeking (Teaching or Non Teaching)
- Resume or vita, including current address and phone number
- Describe any experience, talents, or skills that you have that relate to the criteria listed
Please send the above information to:
Western Michigan University
Att: Gay Walker, Integrative Holistic Health and Wellness
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5212
or deliver to Suite 2400 College of Health and Human Services, attention Gay Walker
- Application deadline is Wednesday, March 18, 2015
- Interviews will be the fourth week of March
- All new Graduate Assistants will be required to attend the Graduate Assistant Training Workshop scheduled for
Wednesday, August 26, 2015.
If you have questions please call Gay Walker 269-387-3839.