- For academic year fall and spring 2013-2014
- Application deadline March 12, 2013
- Interviews will be the third and fourth week of March
HOL 1000: Choices in Living The Holistic Health Department is taking applications from Master level students for teaching assistantships (TA) for fall and spring semester 2013-2114. Positions available will be either full-time, 20 hours per week, or 3/4 time with 15 hours as week, depending on funding.
This appointment requires an enrollment of six credit hours. The award reimburses students for some tuition and other educational expenses, and provides a small salary. Students must be admitted to a graduate level Master degree or certificate program.
HOL 1000: Choices in Living classes are large (200 students per section) and teaching assistants are an essential part of the team. There are five sections. Preference will be given to students who are enrolled in the holistic health care program or who have taken holistic classes, but others are encouraged to apply.
- Attend all classes in one section and support instructor you are assigned to (classes are Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30, 11, 12:30, 2 and 3:30 p.m.)
- Correspond with, arrange, confirm and thank guest speakers
- Periodically facilitate class discussion, presentations, and meditation/relaxation
- Hold office hours
- Assist instructor to field student questions and responsibly handle student concerns
- Assist instructors to create and administer exams
- Grade and record reflection papers, exams, wellness assessments, all parts of the Finding Meaning Joy and Happiness Project and extra credit activities
- Manage database for grading
- Post grades on e-learning
- Attend periodic HOL 1000 team meetings
- Some additional departmental responsibilities may also be requirement periodically throughout the semester
- Work with instructor to update course materials and assignments, as needed
- Acquire knowledge of campus and community resources and update as necessary
To apply, please submit the following
- Letter of interest
- Resume or vita, including current address and phone number
- Describe any experience, talents, or skills that you have that relate to the criteria listed.
If you have questions please call Gay Walker 269-387-3839. All new Teaching Assistants will be required to attend a TA training event in the late summer.
Please send to your resume to the Attention of Gay Walker, Holistic Health Program, WMU, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5212 or deliver to the College of Health and Human Services Building, Holistic Health Program, 2nd Floor, attention Gay Walker.