Personal Data Updates
All Western Michigan University employees should periodically review and, if necessary, update their personal data in the Employee Self Service system.
Updates are necessary to prepare the faculty and staff section of the WMU Directory, to assist with campus-wide emergency planning efforts, and to comply with U.S. federal reporting guidelines.
Visit the My Self Service channel in GoWMU, select Employee Self Service and then Personal Information Summary to review and make changes to your personal data. For more detailed instructions, employee self service user guides are available.
The following items need your attention:
- Preferred name*
- Optional field for employees who wish to be known by a name other than their legal name. For details about this option, please visit Preferred Name.
- Home mailing address*
- Phone numbers*
- Published campus phone - published automatically in the WMU Directory and Web-based PeopleSearch.
- Home/primary phone
- Alternate/secondary phone
- Emergency contact
- Race and ethnicity
- Necessary for WMU to comply with U.S. federal government guidelines for race and ethnicity reporting.
- Privacy flag*
- Located under Employee Information section.
- Employees who do not want their home information published in the WMU Directory must set their privacy flag to “yes”.
- You may review and, if necessary, update your privacy flag by scrolling down to the Employee Information section.
- Campus location, mail stop, and desk phone number*
- View only in Employee Self Service.
- Campus location and mail stop are published automatically in the WMU Directory.
- Desk phone number is not published unless it is the same as the published campus phone number (see above).
- Request changes to campus location and mail stop by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Request changes to desk phone number by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Pertains to the faculty and staff section of the WMU Directory.