PPM Section 3 - Employment Practices: Other Appointments
Bargaining unit employees (AFSCME, MSEA, and POA)
The University has contractual agreements to internally post all represented positions. Hiring
agents should review the appropriate collective bargaining agreement prior to posting.
Career and Student Employment Services administers policies and procedures governing student employment.
Forms and instructions for filing the appropriate paperwork to hire a student employee are
available at Student Employment Online Transactions.
Please note that access to student employment online forms requires a user name and password;
instructions for obtaining a user name and password are also located on the above-referenced
website or by contacting Human Resources.
WMU temporary employees may be hired via Electronic Workflow with the following provisions:
- Temporary employment is an "at will" employment relationship and may be terminated for any reason at any time.
- Hiring departments are responsible for recruitment and ending appointments.
- Background checks are recommended, and the hiring department is responsible for the cost. To coordinate a background check, contact your Human Resources representative.
- All non-faculty temporary appointments at Western Michigan University must be processed as non-exempt (hourly) appointments. Appointments included in this requirement include:
- Temporary employees who hold only a temporary position.
- Benefits-eligible staff employees who hold a temporary position in addition to their regular assignment. For these employees, the regular benefits-eligible position may be either salaried or hourly, but in all cases the temporary position will be paid on an hourly basis.
- The following temporary appointments are excluded from the hourly appointment requirement, in accordance with collective bargaining agreements:
- Additional and overload appointments for AAUP faculty.
- PIO faculty appointments.
- Graduate assistantship appointments.
- Additional appointments for senior administrative officers holding faculty rank.
- Temporary employees must record hours worked on a time sheet to be submitted to their supervisor for review and approval. Departments may not pay temporary employees a flat amount for work completed.
- Rate of pay must be at least minimum wage.
- Please note, overtime pay is required whenever a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee works over forty hours in a single work week. The overtime rate is one and one-half times an employee's regular rate of pay.
- The University will be responsible for any legal liabilities, such as workers' compensation and unemployment insurance.