The Department of Business Information Systems at Western Michigan University is housed in the Haworth College of Business and offers four majors:
- Computer information systems
- Electronic business marketing
- Health informatics and information management
- Telecommunications and information management
The department offers minors in business analytics, business mobile development and computer information systems.
In addition, the department supports the college’s learning goal for students to become effective communicators through BCM 3700, Integrated Communication in Business, a course required of all business students, and BCM 4540, Intercultural Business Communication. In addition to teaching these courses, business communication faculty support the Haworth College of Business Communication Center.
Advisory council members
- Tom Alberty, director, PGM Business Technology, Pfizer Inc.
- Paul Bertoldi, senior director, Technical Strategy, Thomson Reuters
- Brad Black, president and CEO, HUMANeX Ventures
- Bob Brown, director, Electronic Medical Records, WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
- John Gercak, vice president of IT, Manufacturing Center of Excellence-Industrial Sector, Eaton Corporation
- Jane Gietzen, director, TIS Enterprise Operations, Spectrum Health
- Terry Hutchins, vice president, Information Technology and Administrative Services, Kalamazoo Valley Community College
- Roger Klassen, senior director, Global Manufacturing and Supply Business Technology, Zoetis
- Randy Kortering, vice president, Global Information Services, Haworth Inc.
- Ben Levy, CEO, Rapid Repair
- Matthew Mace, president and CEO, BlueGranite Inc.
- Joy McClendon, senior director (retired), Pfizer Inc.; advisory council chair
- Ganapa (Sashi) Murthy, senior innovation analyst, Kellogg Company
- Jessica Newton, information technology manager, Auto-Owners Insurance
- Paul Peabody, vice president of IT and CIO, Bronson Healthcare Group
- Donna Roach, CIO, Ascension Information Services, Borgess Health
- Jennifer Rutledge, COO, SalesPage Technologies
- Jim Schumacher, senior vice president, Information Systems and Technology, Auto-Owners Insurance
- Jim Stark, vice president and group information officer, Global Quality & Operations and Corporate Services, Stryker
- Susan Stults, owner, SELect IT Consulting LLC
- Joel Sundman, technical sales manager, z Client Architects, IBM North America
- Gale Tabron, information technology specialist, DLA CIV Information Operations
- Mark Takacs, senior manager, Advisory Services, Ernst & Young LLP
- J. Michael Tarn, department chair, Business Information Systems, Western Michigan University
- Jason Visser, HCM system architect, Steelcase Inc.
- Bob Wallis, vice president of IT, Edwards Garment
- Chuck Warner, president, Secant Technologies
- Andy Yohey, manager, Web Services Support, Thomson Reuters
The Haworth College of Business is among an elite group of fewer than 5 percent of business schools worldwide that are accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by the AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. It is among a select 1 percent of business schools worldwide that have additional specialized AACSB accreditation for their accountancy programs.