Health and Counseling

Health insurance

The cost of health care in the United States is very high; a short stay in the hospital can cost thousands of dollars. International students, scholars, or dependents who are in the U.S. on temporary, nonimmigrant visas such as F or J, are not eligible for U.S. government programs like Medical Assistance or Medicaid. You can protect yourself from the high cost of health care by obtaining health insurance coverage.

WMU exchange visitors and international students on J-1 visas are required by U.S. Department of State regulations to have health insurance that meets minimum J-1 requirements while they are in the United States. Information.

Effective November 30, 2015 all other WMU international students who are not on J visas are required to have health insurance that meets the coverage requirements of the Affordable Care Act plus:

  • Repatriation in the amount of $25,000
  • Evacuation coverage of $50,000 to return to his or her country


J-1 insurance that meets the following minimum requirements:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness


Students and scholars may explore insurance options available through these providers:

For insurance assistance call Jan VandeVusse at (269) 387-5887 or email:

Sindecuse Health Center

Located on the main campus, WMU's Sindecuse Health Center offers convenient, cost-saving services with an experienced, multidisciplinary staff dedicated to maintaining and improving patient health. Many insurance plans are accepted. Services include: 

  • Preventive health check-ups
  • Periodic health monitoring, as well as

For information and appointments call (269) 387-3287.

Counseling Services at Sindecuse Health Center

Short-term individual, couples and group counseling is available for a diverse student population. Counselors help students identify challenges and make changes to manage the emotional and social difficulties that might complicate college life including:

  • Relationship or family conflicts
  • Stress and anxiety
  • Grief or loss
  • Social and peer pressure
  • Sexual identity questions
  • Trauma and post-traumatic stress
  • Adjusting to college life
  • Feeling down or depressed
  • Body image or eating disorders

Services are tailored to meet individual needs.  Students have access to personal counseling and are also able to join a variety of group counseling sessions.

Patient's rights to privacy will be respected; patients are asked to sign a consent form before any information is released to a third party.

There's no need to call ahead to make an appointment. Registered students who would like to receive counseling services may drop in at the Sindecuse Health Center on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Check in at the welcome desk on the main level to register, then go to Counseling Services on the second floor for a short intake meeting with a counselor.

Student Recreation Center

The University Student Recreation Center promotes healthy life-style choices, team building, leadership skills, and opportunities for positive social interaction. Outstanding fitness options include:

  • Open recreation
  • Intramural sports
  • Fitness programs