Lead learner-centered research institutions in the innovation and application of information technology
- The Office of Information Technology will be recognized as a leader and an advocate for innovative and effective use of information technology at WMU.
- As a computing support organization, IT will be known for its technical skills and its partnerships with stakeholders to create and deliver high-quality services.
- Of utmost importance in the delivery of these services are the needs of the students, faculty and staff of WMU. These stakeholders and IT will form synergistic alliances to enhance the resources and services offered to all information technology users on campus.
Mission of information technology
To achieve excellence through the design, development, and application of information technology in support of learning, teaching, research, service, and the conduct of University business consistent with WMU's mission.
- Information technology will align its efforts with the principles, goals, and strategies of the WMU Strategic Plan for Information Technology. OIT will translate the strategies into action plans, resulting in the efficient and effective use of campus information technology resources.
- Vital IT services will be delivered through a computing infrastructure that is current, comprehensive, responsive, reliable, available, and intuitive. Exceptional customer satisfaction will be the goal for all information technology services offered on campus.
- Information technology will provide thorough planning, in-depth analysis, and proactive problem solving in the pursuit of quality learning, teaching, and research.
- Information technology will be forward thinking, aligning leading-edge technology with desired outcomes. Collaborative partnerships with both stakeholders and vendors will be pursued to provide cost effective, full functioning solutions.
- In addition to providing the resources for integrated and secure administrative data, IT will work with data administrators to standardize and maintain institutional data as well as expand the access to this data where appropriate.
- Information technology will work with the WMU administration to enhance and maintain the strategic asset that information technology has become in all aspects of University business. This includes assisting in the development of an IT business plan where planning drives the request for funding.
- Information technology will strive to attract and retain a technology savvy staff through hiring incentives and professional recognition.