The Office of Information Technology provides data, video, and voice services for the University community. For questions about any of the services listed below, please call the numbers listed to the right of the service.
Access online services | (269) 387-4357, option 1
- Bronco NetID: Each employee receives a Bronco NetID and password. The Bronco NetID must be activated before it can be used. This is done on the GoWMU login page. If you've forgotten your Bronco NetID, you may call the Help Desk at (269) 387-4357, option 1.
- GoWMU: (gowmu.wmich.edu) is where most online services are available. You can get to campus and individual announcements, payroll information, Elearning, email and much more. Login to GoWMU using your Bronco NetID and password. Never give your password to anyone, including WMU staff.
Computers | sales: (269) 387-5460; repair: (269) 387-3930
- Purchases: WMU faculty, staff and students may purchase computer hardware and software at an educational discount from TotalTech, located in the Bernhard Center bookstore. For more information, see the TotalTech website.
Departmental purchases must be placed through Technology Purchases.
- Training: WMU offers free extensive online computer training for staff and faculty through Lynda.com. Once you have an account, you can access as many courses as you like from any computer with a broadband connection any time of the day. More information and obtain an account.
Email | (269) 387-4357, option 1
- Your email will be delivered to webmail.wmich.edu. You may access your email by going directly to webmail.wmich.edu or by clicking the “Webmail +” icon within GoWMU. More information.
- Your email address is created at the time of the Bronco NetID creation. This email address is in the format of firstname.lastname at wmich.edu. It is the email address used for all official mailings from WMU. All email to students should be sent using the student’s wmich.edu address. This may be done from within Elearning, or, by using classlists if you are not using Elearning.
- Your email account contains 10 GB of storage. This may not be adjusted.
- Spam mail is a problem at WMU, just as it is everywhere. Read more.
Getting connected | (269) 387-4357, option 2
- Faculty members may connect to WMUnet from outside the campus by using DSL and cable modems, as well as using VPN services. More information.
- All computers connected to the WMU network must have anti-virus software installed. This software is provided at no charge to the faculty member or the academic department, online in GoWMU.
File sharing | (269) 387-4357, option 1
- Some forms of file sharing—for example, illegally downloading and sharing MP3 files of popular music—violate copyright. It is important for all users of the University's systems to understand their responsibilities and the University's responsibilities regarding copyright. Read more.
Getting help | FTC: (269) 387-387-6958 | Help Desk: (269) 387-4357, option 1
- A Faculty Technology Center is located on the second floor of the University Computing Center. It is a multimedia computer lab where faculty, teaching assistants and instructors can learn to use technology for instruction and get assistance with course development. More information.
- Help Desk walk-in service is also available on the second floor of the computing center. The Help Desk can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (269) 387-4357, option 1.
- The Help Desk website provides many online self help documents.
GoWMU | gowmu.wmich.edu
- GoWMU is the portal for the WMU community. It is a secure point of access to a collection of online resources. You can customize the content to best suit your needs. More information.
- The GoWMU “My Work” channel allows faculty members access to campus and individual announcements, schedules and teaching assignments, class lists and worksheets, grades, course offerings, and campus forms.
- A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is available if secure access to WMUnet is needed. More information.
Policies | (269) 387-4357, option 1
- Computing policies
- University policy website
- University confidential information policy for employees
Wireless | (269) 387-4357, option 1
- Wireless internet access is available throughout the entire campus.
- Computers must be registered using a Bronco NetID before accessing the network.
- In offices, computers should be connected using the wired data connection.
- If there is a Cisco VoIP phone, connect to the Ethernet connection on the phone.