As was announced on March 1, 2016, de-provisioning of the personal web page services known as homepages.wmich.edu has begun. Effective June 30, 2017 this service will be deprecated and all students, faculty, staff, emeriti and retirees still using this service should begin moving their sites to other alternatives now. Faculty who are using homepages for research and/or course-related pages and do not feel any of the available alternatives will serve their purposes should submit the Use of Homepages form so we can address their needs on a case-by-case basis.
Those who no longer want or need their sites may remove them now at:
- Faculty, staff, emeriti and retirees: http://homepages.wmich.edu/fac-staff/registration/remove-files.html
- Students: http://homepages.wmich.edu/student/registration/remove-files.html
- Google Sites: this is a free website application that is available to all students, faculty and staff as part of WMU's Google Apps for Education. Many templates are available as well as the ability to code in HTML. Information about WMU's Google Apps for Education. Information specific to using Google Sites.
- Elearning: potentially an alternative for faculty who have course-work content located in a personal website on homepages. More information.
- Departmental CMS websites: potentially an alternative for faculty or staff who have departmental or work-related content in a personal website on homepages. To determine if it is a viable alternative, please consult with the staff who does your departmental or college website.
- One Drive: if your site is used to primarily share files, using One Drive, which is part of our Office 365 W-Exchange suite may be a viable alternative. More information.
- Google Drive: similar to One Drive and part of our Google Apps for Education suite. More information.
Help for faculty
- Faculty who require their students to use homepages for coursework should work with OIT to determine where and how best their requirements may be met. Contact Bruce Paananen at (269) 387-5454 to begin this discussion.
- Faculty who need assistance moving their sites to Google Sites may visit the Faculty Technology Center on the second floor of the University Computing Center. Call (269) 387-6958 for more information and to make an appointment.