Educational Leadership, Research and Technology
GRE Waiver Criteria and Process
WMU currently requires that all applicants for an Ed.S. degree submit their scores from the general GRE exam as part of their application materials. A potential waiver from the Dean of the Graduate College is a possibility for some applicants.
First, candidates must receive a recommendation for a waiver from the faculty within the Department of Educational Leadership, Research, and Technology associated with the Ed.S. degree. To seek such a recommendation, the candidate must submit the following:
- A Resume/Vitae that clearly depicts at least five years of formal or informal leadership experience;
- A Copy of your Transcripts from your master’s degree (note: You will eventually need to provide official transcript(s) [see requirement below], but for the purposes of seeking a recommendation for a wavier, an unofficial copy is fine. Please note that all applicants must have a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or better, as indicated on your transcript.
- An enhanced Career and Professional Goals Narrative & Current Issue Writing Sample, which has two parts. First, the applicant should clearly describe his/her professional goals, and how this Ed.S. program fits with those goals. Second, the applicant needs to write about a current educational issue of interest, either practice based or theoretical, analyzing what the issue is, and some current research surrounding that issue (using at least 8 references). Note: this overall narrative/writing sample should be 8-10 double-spaced pages, and attempt to follow APA 6th edition for formatting paper (including a title and reference page).
All materials required to seek a recommendation for a waiver must be submitted to at least 4 weeks prior to each deadline for Ed.S. admissions (October 1 for the November 1 deadline; March 1 for the April 1 deadline; and June 1 for the July 1 deadline). Based upon a review of these materials, the Ed.S. associated-faculty may submit a GRE waiver request to the Dean of the Graduate College.
In addition to the materials noted above, to be considered for the Ed.S. degree, a candidate must also complete the following by the Ed.S. application deadline:
- WMU’s Graduate Application Form
- One Official Transcript from every higher education institution you have ever attended (except WMU), even if you did not receive a completed degree from them, sent to: Office of Admissions, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, WMU, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5211
- *Two Graduate Reference Forms, completed by 2 different individuals in a position to address the applicant’s ability to successfully complete Ed.S.-level work.
- *Completed Program Concentration Selection Form
*Send to: Diane Bourgeois, Graduate Program Coordinator; 1903 West Michigan Ave.
WMU, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5283 (or drop off at 3571 Sangren Hall)
Within two weeks of receiving all materials for a GRE wavier recommendation, the Department will notify the applicant if such a recommendation has been granted. Once hearing from the Graduate Dean, the applicant will be notified of that decision.