You may borrow from us if you are:
- A registered Western Michigan University student with a Bronco Card
- A WMU faculty or staff member, or retiree with a Bronco Card
- A guest borrower
- A guest faculty from another institution
- A WMU doctoral program alumni
Due dates are shown in My Account and included in email notices.
and Lifetime PhD
Music CDs and LPs
(2 online renewals,
up to 365 days)
(2 online renewals,
up to 42 days)
Children's books (Waldo),
(2 online renewals)
(2 online renewals)
2hrs; 4hrs; 48hrs; 7 days
(renewal dependent on
|2hrs; 4hrs; 48hrs; 7 days
Permanent Reserves only
(1 online renewal)
|Not available for use|
|Lockers||1 semester||Not available for use|
Number of items you can borrow
|WMU students, faculty, and staff||Guest borrowers|
|100 items||10 items|
Visit My Account and sign in to Library Search to renew items online.
- Review results to make sure renewal was successful
- If you have trouble renewing, please call Patron Services at (269) 387-5154, or bring items in to one of the library circulation counters
- Library users may recall items you have checked out
- You will get an e-mail notification to return the item
- You are guaranteed use of the material for at least 14 days
- Lost fee applied 5 days after recalled due date
- Courtesy - 5 days before due date
- Due Today - Early morning on day due
- Overdue #1 - 7 days after due date
- Overdue #2 - 38 days after due date. Alerts patron to return or renew (if allowed) items within 7 days to avoid stated "Lost Billing" fees ($75 lost item fee + $15 processing fee)
- Overdue (Videos/Recalls/Reserves) - 1 day after due date; only for reserves, recalls, and videos. Alerts patron to return item within 4 days or it will be declared lost
- Lost Billing - 45 days after due date. Notice to patron of "Lost Billing" fees applied to university account
- A final search is conducted for items prior to "Lost Billing"
- "Lost Billing" fees are transferred nightly and are immediately assessed to your WMU account
- Please see payment options
All items can be returned to one of the following locations:
- Waldo Library - Three convenient locations: 1. Outside book return drop box outside front doors of library front entrance. 2. Outside book return drop box, at curb side, on Arcadia Street side of building. 3. Inside building at first floor atrium.
- College of Health and Human Services Campus - Drop box on first floor of Health and Human Services Building, near the Learning Resource Center. Pick up Monday through Friday 9:30 a.m.
- Engineering Campus (Parkview) - Drop box on first floor of Floyd Hall, near front entrance and Lecture Hall D-115. Pick up Monday through Friday 9:15 a.m.
- Haworth College of Business - Drop box on first floor of Schneider Hall, by entrance closest to the Fetzer Center. Pick up Monday through Friday 10 a.m.
- Maybee Music and Dance Library - in Dalton Center, third floor.
- Swain Education Library - Book return drop slot inside the Education Library (Sangren Hall, second level), to the left of the check out desk.
Library materials must be returned complete with all parts, discs, booklets, and other accompanying material. You will be charged full replacement costs for items returned without all accompanying material.
Lost Item and processing fees
Lost item and processing fees apply to all borrowers.
|Item type||Considered lost after due date||Lost item fee||Non refundable processing fee|
|Books and scores||45 days||$75||$15 per item|
||5 days||$75||$15 per item|
|Maybee Music and Dance Library
CDs, LPs, and videos
|45 days||$75||$15 per item|
|Interlibrary Loan||45 days||Item cost||Only item cost|
|Locker keys||5 days||$10||$15|
These charges may also apply to any damaged items. If a lost item is returned within six months of the billing date the lost item fee will be refunded, but not the processing fee.
Because Inter-Library Loan (ILL) items come from other institutions, they are treated differently from materials borrowed from WMU Libraries:
- ILL Items, unlike other items, will incur overdue fines. A $10 fine will be charged on the tenth day overdue
- ILL items will be considered lost after an amount of time determined by the lending institution
- Lost fees for ILL items are also determined by the lending institution, and are most typically equal to the item’s replacement value. A $15 non-refundable processing fee will also be charged for lost ILL items
All payments should be made with WMU Accounts Receivable.
suspension of Borrowing privileges
Borrowing privileges will be suspended if a patron has one or more recalled items overdue.
Borrowing at one of the regional locations
If you are a student at one of the regional locations of WMU, you may request items to be sent to you through Document Delivery.
Borrowing from other libraries
WMU library users with a Bronco Card may borrow from other libraries through MeLCat or Interlibrary Loan.
A guest borrower may borrow up to 10 items excluding class reserve items and audio/video formats. See loan periods above. For more information on obtaining a guest borrower's card, please contact the Waldo Library Access Services Department (269) 387-5156 during open library hours.
You may obtain a one year guest borrower's card if you:
- Live within a 50-mile radius of Western Michigan University, and
- Are at least 18 years of age, and
- Present a photo identification with an address and proof of Social Security number
Reciprocal faculty borrowing program
A group of over 190 research libraries have developed an agreement to extend library privileges to faculty members of other research universities. Privileges vary from institution to institution. Faculty members intending to visit a participating library should request a Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program card from the Research and Instruction Services Desk, first floor, Dwight B. Waldo Library. See the list of participating institutions.
Western Michigan University doctoral program alumni
Western Michigan University doctoral program alumni are granted lifetime borrowing privileges. You must present the Lifetime Borrower's Card issued upon graduation and you may borrow items for one semester.