The advertising and promotion major at Western Michigan University attracts creative, strategically minded students and provides them with an interactive education that ensures they will have the skills and knowledge necessary for success. The program stresses the integrated marketing communication concept and teaches students the process of developing and planning a campaign starting with market research, developing objectives, formulating media and creative strategies and executing tactics that are both relevant and effective for a target audience.
- Fewer than 10 percent of advertising programs in the nation are housed within business schools, which makes a Western degree that much more impressive. All advertising and promotion majors graduate with an AACSB-accredited Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
- Your professors bring many years of practical experience to the classroom and maintain close ties with industry through their applied research and consulting. Each dedicated faculty member has significant industry experience prior to achieving a Ph.D. or a specialized degree in the field.
- The advertising and promotion major has a dedicated 16-member industry advisory board made up of top professionals and alumni.
- With more than 2,000 alumni, the program boasts a large, successful and distinctive alumni base that includes CEOs, executive vice presidents, advertising and marketing entrepreneurs, senior directors, media experts, consultants and notable authors and educators.
- Several coveted academic scholarships exist solely for advertising and promotion majors.
- Advertising and promotion majors excel in national student advertising competitions.
- Student teams from the advertising and promotion major have earned honors and recognition from:
- American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition
- Direct Marketing Educational Foundation’s Collegiate Echo Competition
- Promotional Products Association International
- Yellow Pages Publishers Association
- WMU students regularly take top 10 national honors in the EdVenture Partners National Case Study Competition, with multiple top five honors. In 2013, a WMU team placed first at the event.
Professional B.B.A. course sequence
- Review the requirements for the advertising and promotion major in the WMU catalog
- Unofficial major slip
Which student organizations should I join?
The WMU AdClub is dedicated to providing:
- Professional and social networking opportunities for students interested in pursuing a career in the advertising industry.
- Industry speakers on a weekly basis throughout the academic year.
- Participation in various career conferences in Detroit, Chicago and New York City.
- Annual resume book, which is distributed to more than 75 advertising firms throughout the U.S.
The WMU AdClub is also a collegiate chapter of the American Advertising Federation, the largest and oldest advertising trade association in the U.S., representing more than 50,000 professionals in the industry.
What can I expect from an advertising career?
Advertising and promotion majors typically follow varied career paths, primarily in one of the following five areas:
- Account service
- Account planning
- Media planning and buying
- Creative services
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in advertising and promotion are working in the following positions:
- Account coordinators and executives
- Social media managers
- Digital creative directors
- Media planners, buyers and sales representatives
- Strategic planners and market research analysts
- Marketing coordinators and associates
- Copywriters and art directors
- Advertising, brand and project managers
- Production specialists
- Event planners
- Digital analytics managers
- Internet marketing managers
With more than 2,000 alumni across the country, advertising and promotion majors are recruited and hired by small, medium and large agencies, as well as media and client organizations. Some graduates even start their own successful agencies.
Speak with an advisor
Want to learn more about our sales program and where it will take you? Schedule a Business Broncos Visit to be paired with a current advertising and promotion student to tour the college and meet an advisor.
Transfer student information
Students thinking about transferring to the Haworth College of Business should review the transfer guides for their community college and contact Haworth College of Business transfer advisor Paul Hildenbrand. Email Paul Hildenbrand or call (269) 387-5075.