Part-time instructional opportunities
Department Heads and Chairs
Information for Faculty
Western Michigan University is located in Kalamazoo, midway between Chicago and Detroit, and less than an hour from Lake Michigan. The Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences is internationally recognized for its scholarly excellence.
In recent years the department has hosted important conferences in
- algebraic topology,
- differential equations,
- graph theory,
- linear algebra, and
Points of Pride
- Our department receives over two million dollars in grants per year, the largest of any department at WMU.
- In a recent report by the National Research Council, the scholarly quality of the department was ranked above that of several midwestern and national universities of equal or higher stature.
- WMU is in the top half of all math doctoral programs in the United States in educational effectiveness, and in the top quarter of the most improved programs during 1988-1993.
- WMU has a vigorous and growing graduate program.
- Our department awarded its first Ph.D. in 1969 and has awarded over 100 Ph.D.'s.