All students will complete a minimum of 12 courses (36 credit hours.) Students with no prior business courses may need to complete up to 4 additional courses (12 credit hours). You have some flexibility in establishing the sequence of courses. Scheduling requirements and some recommendations for course sequencing are presented below.
- Proficiency Requirements must be achieved prior to enrolling in core MBA courses.
- Business Core (Prerequisite) courses must be completed before taking any other MBA courses.
- Business Context and Functional Core courses (eight in total) may be taken in any order, although:
- It is recommended that you take the “Business Context” courses first.
- All eight of the courses must be completed prior to enrolling in the capstone (BUS 6990) course.
- An elective course may be taken after you have completed the prerequisite listed in the graduate catalog for that elective (e.g., FIN 6120 is a prerequisite for FIN 6250).
- It is recommended but not required that you complete at least four of the eight Business Context and/or Functional Core courses before taking electives.
- Computer Literacy: Fulfilled through classroom or experiential knowledge of computer applications.
- Quantitative Analysis: Fulfilled through completion of an upper-level quantitative course such as Finite Mathematics or Pre-Calculus.
- Statistics: Fulfilled through completion of a business statistics course or its equivalent.
- Academic Communication: Prior academic experience will be evaluated to determine if this requirement is met. Graduate students whose native language is not English and who do not have a degree from a U.S. institution must take the Academic Communication Placement Test at the beginning of their first semester of enrollment. This test is administered by the Center for English Language and Culture for International Students. It must be taken in addition to TOEFL--Test of English as a Foreign Language, which is taken as part of the admissions process. A student who does not pass this examination is assigned to the Academic Communication for Business Purposes course. This course must be completed during the first semester of study.
Graduate students whose native language is not English but have an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution will not be required to take the placement test or the course.
Business Core (Prerequisite) Courses
The Business Core (Prerequisite) courses may be waived for students who have a bachelor’s degree in business administration or have completed relevant course work. Course descriptions are available in the online catalog.
ACTY 6010: Accountancy
FIN 6020: Corporate Finance
ECON 6010: Basic Economic Analysis
LAW 6040: Legal, Regulatory, and Political Aspects of Business
Business Context (Required) Courses
BUS 6150: Global Business
BUS 6160: Law, Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
BUS 6180: Information Technology Management
Functional Core (Required) Courses
ACTY 6110: Managerial Accounting
FIN 6120: Financial Management
MKTG 6130: Customer-Driven Marketing Management
MGMT/MKTG 6140: Supply Chain and Process Management
MGMT 6170: Leading People and Organizations
Integrative Business Solutions (Required) Course
BUS 6990: Strategic Management
Concentrations and Electives