Undergraduate: How to Apply
- WMU Application: Submit a general application to Western Michigan University: wmich.edu/apply
- Music Application Register for the School of Music Admissions Portal in Elearning. Within the Admissions Portal, you will need to complete a Music Application form and select a date to attend a New Student Admissions Day.
- For spring 2016 admission
Friday, Nov. 6, 2015
- For fall 2016 admission
Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016
Friday, Feb. 12, 2016
Friday, Feb. 26, 2016
Before you can be admitted to any music program (BA, BM or BS), you must complete our audition/interview and testing program at one of the dates indicated above. For more specific information about the audition requirements for your major, see Undergraduate Studies and Admissions Requirements. You must audition or interview in November, January or February to ensure entrance and scholarship consideration. Instrumental and vocal studios are limited in the number of students that may be accepted. Admission is highly competitive. Students may apply a maximum of two times for any program or studio. If you cannot come to WMU on one of these dates, please notify us promptly and we will attempt to determine an alternate date. If you live more than 500 miles from Kalamazoo, MI you may submit audition material online. See the Video Audition information below.
Graduate: How to apply
- Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. International students should begin at the International Admissions and Services website.
- Within the School of Music, you will be required to complete an audition and/or submit a portfolio of documents as appropriate to your intended degree and area of concentration. It is strongly encouraged that you make arrangements to visit campus in person prior to March 15 for an audition or interview. Please see the School of Music's Graduate Studies page for more detailed information about each degree program.
- If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, you will need to complete a separate GA application form by Feb. 15. Not all GA positions are available each year, so check with the appropriate faculty for availability. GA applications require three letters of recommendation which should be sent online as part of your WMU application. More information is available on the graduate assistantships web page.
While it is preferable to audition in person, if you live more than 300 miles from Kalamazoo, MI, you may submit video and/or audio files for your studio audition. You must still follow the regular Music application process as described above and should indicate "Video Audition" in place of the audition date. Some studios may use video submissions for pre-screening purposes (e.g., conducting, voice) and will still require an in-person audition for final admission. It is recommended that you contact the appropriate studio faculty regarding any questions about repertoire. Go to the WMU Music Submissions website for specific instructions on uploading materials.
In the unlikely event that weather forces WMU to close, School of Music auditions will need to be canceled. Information on the University's status may be found at www.wmich.edu or by calling (269) 387-1001. Information on the status of School of Music auditions will be available at (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Undergraduate admissions contact Dr. Julie Nemire, Undergraduate Advisor, email@example.com, (269) 387-4672
For questions regarding Graduate admissions contact Dr. David Loberg Code, Graduate Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-4675.