Undergraduate: How to Apply
- WMU Application: Submit a general application to Western Michigan University: wmich.edu/apply
- Music Application Register for the School of Music Audition Portal in Elearning. Within the Audition Portal, you will need to complete a Music Application form and select a date to attend a New Student Audition Day.
- Supplemental Materials: The School of Music is using DecisionDesk as a supplemental application site for uploading audition videos, recordings, and other documents. Although encouraged to attend a New Student Audition Day, prospective students who live outside of a 300-mile radius from Kalamazoo, may submit their audition video via DecisionDesk. In addition, applicants for the Composition and Multimedia Arts Technology program should submit their portfolio materials through DecisionDesk.
2014-15 New Student Audition Days Register
- Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 (for Spring 2015 admission)
- Friday, Jan. 30, 2015 (for Fall 2015 admission)
- Friday, Feb. 13, 2015 (for Fall 2015 admission)
- Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015 (for Fall 2015 admission)
Before you can be admitted to any music program (BA, BM or BS), you must complete our audition/interview and testing program at one of the dates indicated above. (Applicants who submit an audition video via DecisionDesk will complete theory testing on campus at a later date.) For more specific information about the audition requirements for your major, see Undergraduate Studies and Audition Requirements. You must audition in November, January or February to ensure entrance and scholarship consideration. Instrumental and vocal studios are limited in the number of students that may be accepted. Admission is highly competitive. Students may audition a maximum of two times for any studio. If you cannot come to WMU on one of these dates, please notify us promptly and we will attempt to determine an alternate date.
Graduate: How to apply
- Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. International students should begin at the International Admissions and Services website.
- Within the School of Music, you will be required to complete an audition and/or submit a portfolio of documents as appropriate to your intended degree and area of concentration. It is strongly encouraged the you make arrangements to visit campus in person for an audition or interview. Please see the School of Music's Graduate Studies page for more detailed information about each degree program.
- If you would like to be considered for a graduate assistantship, you will need to complete a separate GA application form. Not all GA positions are available each year, so check with appropriate faculty for availability. GA applications do require letters of recommendation or the completion of graduate program reference forms by three individuals. The deadline for assistantship applications is Feb. 15. More information is available on the graduate assistantships web page.
Do you live over 300 miles away from WMU?
Prospective undergraduate students who reside outside a 300-mile radius of Kalamazoo, MI, or any prospective graduate students, are invited to submit a video audition for WMU School of Music via our online site at DecisionDesk.
In the unlikely event that weather forces WMU to close, School of Music auditions will need to be canceled. Information on the University's status may be found at www.wmich.edu or by calling (269) 387-1001. Information on the status of School of Music auditions will be available at (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Undergraduate admissions contact Dr. Julie Nemire, Undergraduate Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, (269) 387-4672
For questions regarding Graduate admissions contact Dr. David Loberg Code, Graduate Coordinator, email@example.com or (269) 387-4675.