| WMU News
KALAMAZOO--Western Michigan University has released version 1.2 of WMU Mobile, its smartphone apps for Android and for iPhone and other Apple mobile platforms.
WMU Mobile is available free of charge through the Android Market at market.android.com for Android smartphones; and through the iTunes Store and App Store for iPhone, iPod Touch and other Apple mobile devices. You can access the iTunes store and App Store through your mobile device or iTunes on your computer.
WMU Mobile 1.2 features
- New! WMU Dining Services mobile menu for cafes and dining halls
- Real-time Bronco Transit GPS bus tracking and online schedules
- Calendar of WMU public events
- Maps and locator for key buildings and offices on the main campuses
- Live streaming of WMUK Public Radio for both HD1 and HD2
- Sounds of Western, including Fight Song, Alma Mater and "key play"
- Latest Bronco scores and updates from wmubroncos.com
- Kalamazoo weather and three-day forecasts
WMU Mobile project
WMU Mobile was created as a senior engineering project by six computer science majors and released in May 2011. Then-seniors Ryan Berry, Kyle Falkenstein and Matthew Rodgers developed the Android version of the app, while Christopher Ashbay, Justus Reule and Timothy Wickey created the Apple version.
Two new teams of senior computer science majors are working on version 2.0, scheduled for release later this spring.
"WMU Mobile has a number of distinctive features," said Dr. Keith Hearit, vice provost for strategic enrollment management, "but what's more impressive than the product is the way it was created. Typically, universities pay a vendor to create an app. We had six talented computer science majors design and create ours."
The University commissioned the project through the offices of Strategic Enrollment Management, Information Technology and University Relations, in cooperation with the Department of Computer Science and with support from a variety of WMU offices and campus services.
Students create WMU apps for Android and iPhone | May 24, 2011