| WMU News
KALAMAZOO--Many campus roads and parking areas at Western Michigan University will be closed for varying periods the morning of homecoming Saturday, Oct. 6, to accommodate the 14th annual running of the Homecoming Campus Classic 1K and 5K races.
Major changes were made to the race course for 2012 to accommodate what has become one of the largest 5K races in Michigan.
About one-half of the 5K race route is on the West Campus Ring Road—Rankin Avenue, Goldsworth Drive, North Dormitory Road, West Michigan Avenue and Western Avenue, where the race starts and ends at the recreation center. Runners will use the inside lanes, running clockwise. Vehicles will use the outside lane, and traffic will be one way, counterclockwise.
Access will be limited to nearly every building on the West Campus prior to and during the 5K race.
Roads and lots will be opened to traffic as soon as the last runners and walkers have cleared the adjacent parts of the race route.
To avoid being blocked in during the race, do not park inside the race route.
- 6 to 10:15 a.m.—Ring Road reduced to one lane, one-way vehicle traffic. Closed to all traffic: West Michigan in front of the Bernhard Center.
- 9 to 10:15 a.m.—No entry or exit for Gilkinson and other interior roads and lots along North Dormitory Road.
- 9 to 9:45 a.m.—Closed to all traffic: South Hayes Drive, South Dormitory, Arcadia Road, West Shaw Lane and Auditorium Drive.
- 9 to 10 a.m.—Closed to all traffic: Business Court and Wilber Avenue.
Questions about road closings should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (269) 387-8710.
Campus Classic schedule Oct. 6
- 7 a.m.—Race-day registration and packet pickup at the Student Recreation Center indoor tennis courts until 9 a.m.
- 8:45 a.m.—1K Fun Run and Walk start on Kanley Track. No strollers or pets allowed.
- 9:15 a.m.—5K Run and Walk begin in front of the Student Recreation Center on Western Avenue. No pets.
- 10:15 a.m.—5K course re-opens to cars.
- 10:15 a.m.—Awards ceremony and refreshments at the Student Recreation Center indoor tennis courts.
Information about the 2012 Homecoming Campus Classic is available at wmich.edu/campusclassic, including online race registration, signing up as a race volunteer and a map of the 5K course.