KALAMAZOO--Many campus roads and parking areas at Western Michigan University will be closed for varying periods the morning of homecoming Saturday, Oct. 6, to accommodate the 14th annual running of the Homecoming Campus Classic 1K and 5K races.
Changes have been made since the road closings were announced in August. Most roads will be closed for shorter periods than originally announced.
Access will be limited to nearly every building on West Campus between 9 and 10:15 a.m., immediately prior to and during the 5K race.
To avoid being blocked in during the race, do not park inside the race route.
- 6:30 to 11 a.m.—Western Avenue in front of the recreation center and Read Fieldhouse will be reduced to one lane, one-way traffic. Vehicles using the Oliver Street entrance will be able to turn right only.
- 8 to 9:45 a.m.—Roads adjacent to Miller Auditorium, the parking ramp and Lot 33 next to Miller will be closed. (Lot 34 across from the parking ramp will remain open to accommodate Saturday morning art classes and rehearsals.)
- 9 to 9:45 a.m.—Closed to all traffic: South Hayes Drive, South Dormitory, Arcadia Road, West Shaw Lane.
- 9 to 10:15 a.m.—Ring Road (Rankin Avenue, Goldsworth Drive, North Dormitory and West Michigan from North Dormitory to Western Avenue) will be reduced to one lane, one-way vehicle traffic.
- 9 to 10:15 a.m.—No entry or exit for Gilkinson Avenue and other interior roads and lots along North Dormitory Road.
- 9 to 10:15 a.m.—No entry or exit for West Michigan Avenue in front of the Bernhard Center.
- 9 to 10 a.m.—Closed to all traffic: Business Court and Wilber Avenue.
Questions about road closings should be sent to email@example.com or call (269) 387-8710.
1K Kids' Fun Run moves
The 1K Kids' Fun Run has been moved to Lot 13 in front of the recreation center on Western Avenue. Lot 13 is fenced and will be closed to traffic, providing a vehicle-free area for children to run.
Instuctions for 5K runners
- Most of the 5K course is on roads. Stay in the right-hand lane on all roads.
- Except for the designated sidewalk portion of the course, marked in blue on the map, do not run on sidewalks.
- Runners unable to continue running may move to adjoining sidewalk and walk until able to rejoin the run.
Information about the 2012 Homecoming Campus Classic is available at wmich.edu/campusclassic, including online race registration, signing up as a race volunteer and a map of the 5K course.