| WMU News
KALAMAZOO—Western Michigan University will immediately announce closings due to severe weather or emergency conditions. Assume the University is open and will continue normal operation unless notified in one of three ways.
- Go to wmich.edu
Closing announcements will be posted on the WMU home page and additional information will be posted in WMU News as it becomes available. Refresh webpages to see the most-recent version.
- Call (269) 387-1001
Closing announcements will be available on the emergency information line.
- Check radio and TV
Area radio and television stations are notified as soon as a decision is made to close the University.
Assume WMU is open. In the absence of notification via one of the methods listed, all normal operations will continue as scheduled. The WMU Alert system will not be used to announce weather closings. University closings due to severe weather or other conditions are rare.
If the main Kalamazoo campus is closed, the Battle Creek regional location and the College of Aviation campus will also be closed. If a regional location closes—but not the main campus in Kalamazoo—the affected location will make a separate announcement. Separate regional-location closings will not be posted on the main University Web page or emergency information line.
Weather-related WMU closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.