KALAMAZOO—Except for essential and emergency services, Western Michigan University is closed today, Jan. 31, due to severe winter weather. All classes are canceled.
The closure includes the University's main campus in Kalamazoo as well as regional locations in Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Traverse City. All other regional locations will be open or closed depending upon the status of the community college at which they are located. Please check the Extended University Programs home page for additional information.
Updates on event cancellations, special hours and additional location closures will be posted on this page as information becomes available.
- All art exhibits and events scheduled by the Frostic School of Art have been canceled for the day. All galleries at the Richmond Center for Visual Arts are closed until the University reopens.
- The Red Cross blood drive sponsored by WMU ROTC and Drive Safe Kalamazoo has been postponed and will be rescheduled later this semester.
- Tonight's University Theatre performance of "Caroline or Change" has been canceled.
- Today's Frostic Reading Series event featuring Jay Baron Nicorvo has been canceled. Nicorvo's reading has been rescheduled for 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, in 208 Bernhard Center.
- The 2013 George Klein Lecture on "Skeletons in the Closet: Transitional Justice In Post-Communist Europe," planned by Dr. Monica Nalepa, has been canceled.
- Today's lecture on "Contemporary Artistic Practices Within Political and Social Realities of Oaxaca," planned by Gabriela León, has been canceled.
- Today's lecture on "The Information Society Needs Communicators: Why Foreign Language Abilities Remain Relevant in the Modern Society," planned by Tom Petzold, has been canceled.
- Today's lecture on "Rebalancing or Debalancing: The U.S. Strategies and New Asian Order," planned by visiting Chinese scholar Dr. Ling Wei, has been rescheduled for 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, in 2212 Dunbar Hall.
- The Bronco women's basketball game versus Ball State will be held as planned tonight. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. in University Arena.
- Tonight's Distinguished Alumni Series concert, featuring The Groov’tet, will be held as planned. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Dalton Center Recital Hall.
- Tonight's production of "Les Misérables" will be held as planned unless conditions worsen. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. in Miller Auditorium. Updates will be posted at millerauditorium.com.
- Tonight's production of The Winter Gala Dance Concert will be held as planned unless conditions worsen. The show starts at 8 p.m. in Shaw Theatre in the Gilmore Theatre Complex. Patrons with purchased tickets for this evening's performance who are unable to get to the theatre may exchange the tickets for one of the other performances based on availability. Updates will be made available on the department phone line at (269) 387-5830 or via the Gilmore box office line at (269) 387-6222.
- Bernhard Center is open normal hours from 7 a.m. to midnight today. PNC, Santorini Island Grill and the computer lab are open; other vendors may be closed. Call ahead to find out if a particular vendor is open: (269) 387-4860.
- Computer labs—University Computing Center Lab is closed today. The Bernhard Computing Center is open normal hours.
- Sindecuse Health Center will be open normal hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today.
- Student Recreation Center will be open reduced hours until 8 p.m. today. All fitness classes, intramural sports and climbing wall activities are canceled. Updates will be posted at wmich.edu/rec.
- Waldo Library will be open reduced hours from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. today. All branch libraries are closed.