KALAMAZOO—The retirements of 10 faculty members and 11 staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its April 18 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on one faculty and one staff resignation.
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Sherrill D. Busboom, master faculty specialist of physician assistant, 15 years, effective June 30, 2013;
- Dr. David G. Dickason, professor of geography and director of the W.E. Upjohn Center for the Study of Geographical Change, 47 years, effective June 30, 2013;
- Dr. David A. Guth, professor of blindness and low vision studies, 25 years, effective Dec. 31, 2013;
- Dr. Dean W. Halderson, professor of physics, 33 years, effective April 30, 2014;
- Eva M. Jerome, master faculty specialist of nursing, 13 years, effective Dec. 22, 2013;
- Dr. Peter W. Krawutschke, professor of world languages and literatures, 46 years, effective Dec. 31, 2013;
- Ronald Miller, master faculty specialist of computer science, 15 years, effective Jan. 31, 2014;
- Dr. Dasha C. Nisula, professor of world languages and literatures, 25 years, effective Dec. 31, 2013;
- Dr. Donald E. Thompson, professor of educational leadership, research and technology, 29 years, effective April 30, 2014; and
- Dr. Charles C. Warfield, associate professor of educational leadership, research and technology, 41 years, effective Dec. 31, 2013.
The staff members retiring are:
- Halbert E. Bates, recruitment and retention officer in the Haworth College of Business, 35 years, effective April 26, 2013;
- Dennis W. Brooks, manager of accounting in the WMU Bookstore, 17 years, effective April 10, 2013;
- Jose L. Cardoza, custodian in custodial and building support services, 12 years, effective April 30, 2013;
- Margaret J. Corbin, manager of dining in Davis Dining Services, 38 years, effective May 31, 2013;
- Mary E. Escobedo, office assistant in the Sindecuse Health Center, 14 years, effective May 31, 2013;
- Shelley S. Grant, manager of building support services in custodial administration, 21 years, effective May 2, 2013;
- Terence A. Hudson, director of the WMU Bookstore, 34 years, effective April 10, 2013;
- M. Jamie Jeremy, director of development and alumni relationships, 39 years, effective June 27, 2013;
- Suzanne E. Katje, coordinator of Campus Trends operations for the WMU Bookstore, 10 years, effective April 10, 2013;
- Terry W. Shaffer, residence hall director, 18 years, effective June 30, 2013; and
- Michael B. Strong, manager of TotalTech for the WMU Bookstore, 22 years, effective April 10, 2013.
Faculty and staff resignations
The two resignations are:
- Dr. Anthony J. Vizzini, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, effective June 30, 2013, and
- Sandra D. Steinbach, associate vice president for business and finance, effective April 19, 2013.