KALAMAZOO—The retirements of five faculty members and five staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its June 12 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on two faculty member resignations as well as the return of two administrators to the faculty, a change in the department affiliation of one faculty member and a change in the effective retirement date of one staff member.
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Stephen G. Jones, professor of music, 42 years, effective April 30, 2014;
- Albert LaVergne, professor of art, 23 years, effective Dec. 31, 2013;
- Dr. Gary D. Lawson, professor of speech pathology and audiology, 36 years, effective April 30, 2014;
- Dr. Inayat U. Mangla, professor of finance and commercial law, 31 years, effective June 30, 2016; and
- Dr. Robert Spradling, professor of music, 20 years, effective April 30, 2013.
The staff members retiring are:
- George D. Broomell, network programmer in the Office of Information Technology, 24 years, effective June 30, 2013;
- Carol A. Eddy, executive director of the Sindecuse Health Center, 30 years, effective June 30, 2013;
- Shirley A. Franklin, skills training specialist in the Center for Disability Services, 16 years, effective July 31, 2013;
- Marian L. Rosser, office coordinator in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, 36 years, effective June 30, 2013; and
- Arthur J. Smith, technician and IT specialist in the Office of Information Technology, 19 years, effective July 31, 2013.
The faculty members resigning are:
- Dr. Michael A. Famiano, associate professor of physics, effective Aug. 18, 2013, and
- Dr. Jue Guo, assistant professor of comparative religion, effective Aug. 18, 2013.
Other personnel items
- The administrators returning to the faculty, along with their old and new positions, are: Dr. R. Wayne Fuqua, from chairperson of psychology to professor of psychology, effective July 1, 2013, and Dr. Richard G. Long, from associate dean of the College of Health and Human Services to professor of blindness and low vision studies, effective Jan. 1, 2014.
- The faculty member whose department affiliation changed is Dr. Ashlyn K. Kuersten, associate professor, from political science to gender and women's studies, effective Aug. 19, 2013.
- In addition, the effective retirement date for Dianne Town, food service stockperson in the Valley 1 Dining Service with 16 years of service, was changed to Aug. 15, 2013.