KALAMAZOO—Western Michigan University's 15th annual Homecoming Campus Classic is Saturday, Oct. 12, on WMU's main campus and is open to people of all ages.
The event starts at 8:45 a.m. with the 1K Fun Run that begins in front of the Student Recreation Center on Western Avenue. The 5K run and walk will start at 9:15 a.m. on Western Avenue in front of the Student Recreation Center. Participants will be timed using Chronotract B-Tag disposable chips already fastened to their racing bibs. The new certified 5K course will start in front of University Arena.
Register online at wmich.edu/campusclassic/registration through Thursday, Oct. 10. Costs are $20 for adults, $15 for students and $10 for children if registered before Thursday, Oct. 10. After that and up until the day of the race, the price is an additional $5.
The annual race kicks off the final day of homecoming activities. The Broncos face the University at Buffalo at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Homecoming Campus Classic drew about 1,800 participants last year.
New 5K course
- Up Western Avenue to West Michigan Avenue
- Up West Michigan past Sangren Hall
- Down Gilkison Avenue
- Left onto Goldsworth Drive to Rankin Avenue
- Left onto Business Court Around business parking area, past Everett/Rood Halls and under the Haenicke overpass
- Around Faunce, Kohrman and the parking structure by Miller Auditorium
- Along the Roell Avenue loop and through the lot by Gilmore Theatre Complex
- Up West Shaw to Van de Giessen Road to Arcadia Road
- Back to Western Avenue to the finish line by University Arena
Free parking located in the ramp across West Michigan Avenue from the Student Recreation Center will be available before the race and ending at 11:30 a.m. Those wanting to stay and tailgate will have to pay a fee to park or will be ticketed. Access will be briefly limited at nearly every building on West Campus while the 5K race is taking place. Parking along the route is discouraged.
Packet pickup and registration
- Thursday, Oct. 10, from 4 to 8 p.m. downtown Kalamazoo at Gazelle Sports
- Friday, Oct. 11, from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center
- Saturday, Oct. 12, 7 to 9 a.m. at the Student Recreation Center
Everyone who enters the race or serves as a volunteer will be eligible for the prize drawing for one $500 travel voucher from AAA Travel.
Specifically for WMU students, 10 free campus parking permits also will be given away. Participants must be present at the post-race drawing to be eligible for the AAA Travel voucher or parking passes. WMU students need to present their student IDs and WIN numbers to claim their parking passes.
All participants and volunteers receive complimentary T-shirts, and refreshments will be available in the Student Recreation Center after each race.
The top three finishers in each age group, the top three teams in each division and overall male and female winners will receive a gift from Gazelle Sports. Kids’ 1K participants age 14 and under will receive participant medals.
For more information, visit wmich.edu/campusclassic or call (269) 387-8402.