KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Bike races on the campus of Western Michigan University are part of a weekend of cycling activities Friday through Sunday, July 11-13.
The highlight is the 2014 Miller Energy Criterium set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, July 12, at WMU's Business, Technology and Research Park located on the Parkview Campus in Kalamazoo.
About the criterium
The competitive cycling event will include 10 separate races throughout the day for participants of every age and ability level. Online registration ends at 10 p.m. Thursday, July 10. Race-day registration opens at 6:30 a.m. on site in the Southwest Michigan Innovation Center and closes 30 minutes prior to each race. A total of $6,000 in prize money will be awarded during the 2014 criterium.
For WMU's event, spectators may park at the Southwest Michigan Innovation Center. Competitors will be racing around a 1.1-mile course that features smooth pavement with three 90-degree turns and multiple sweeping turns. The criterium will be held rain or shine. Registration for the kids' race is free. The entry fee for all other races ranges from $10 to $40.
The Miller Energy Criterium is part of the area's Race Weekend Series.
- Team OAM NOW clinics for men and women from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, July 11, BTR Park
- The Miller Energy Criterium, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, July 12, BTR Park
- Kids' Race, 12:30 p.m., Saturday, July 12, all ages welcome, BTR Park
- Race party, 5:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday, July 12, Arcadia Brewing Company, 701 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo
- Maple Hill Race for Wishes, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, July 13, in Lawton, Mich.
For more information on all weekend activities, including how to register, and for driving directions to WMU's Parkview Campus, visit wmich.edu/btrrace.