KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The retirements of two faculty members and six staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its July 23 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on four faculty resignations, grants of tenure and leaves to three faculty members, and one administrator's return to the faculty.
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Loren Heun, master faculty specialist of statistics, 29 years, effective April 30, 2019
- Dr. William A. Sauck, associate professor of geosciences, 29 years, effective April 30, 2019
The staff members retiring are:
- Jeanine M. Bartholomew, director of academic advising in the College of Health and Human Services, 33 years, effective June 30, 2014
- Marilyn A. Johnson, administrative assistant in the Department of Geography, 15 years, effective May 23, 2014
- William L. Jones, supervisor in building custodial and support services, 32 years, effective July 31, 2014
- Valarie J. Levenske, assistant cook in Valley 1 Dining Service, 28 years, effective Aug. 31, 2014
- Donnie L. Phelps, Bernhard Center house staff, 29 years, effective July 31, 2014
- Loisjean Shelton, custodian in building custodial and support services, 26 years, effective April 30, 2014
The faculty members resigning are:
- Dr. Jessica Kersting, assistant professor of speech pathology and audiology, effective Aug. 17, 2014
- Dr. Joseph M. Pellerito Jr., associate professor of occupational therapy, effective June 30, 2014
- Dr. Reneé Schwartz, associate professor of biological sciences, effective Aug. 17, 2014
- Dr. Stacey Wieland, assistant professor of communication, effective Aug. 17, 2014
Other personnel items
- The administrator returning to the faculty, along with her old and new positions, is Dr. Judith Swisher, from chair of the Department of Finance and Commercial Law, effective June 30, 2014, to professor of finance and commercial law, effective July 1, 2014.
- Tenure was granted to Dr. Brandy A. Skjold, faculty specialist II-lecturer in the Mallinson Institute for Science Education, effective with the beginning of the 2014-15 academic year.
- A sabbatical leave was granted to Dr. Autumn Edwards, associate professor of communication, effective fall 2014 (change in duration). A leave of absence was granted to Dr. Jon R. Adams, associate professor of English, effective Sept. 2, 2014, through May 2, 2015.
Trustees set 2015-16 rates for new residence hall complex | July 23, 2014
Trustees agree to extension on Cole-Gilmore property | July 23, 2014
WMU begins STARS sustainability initiative with 'gold' rating | July 23, 2014