| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The Student Recreation Center is staging a daylong event Wednesday, Jan. 11, to publicize its programs and services for Western Michigan University students and employees.
The New Year, New You event, held for the first time this past January, encourages members of the campus community to improve their fitness and health by taking advantage of the recreation center's numerous classes and activities.
To accommodate people's schedules, the rec center will be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. so employees as well as students can—at no cost—check out what the facility has to offer. Bring your Bronco Card and workout clothes, and use the rec center for the day.
An employee open house has been slated from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the facility's second floor by the customer service desk. In addition, the entire campus community is welcome to participate in fitness classes throughout the day and attend a neon glow party from 6 to 10 p.m. that showcases a variety of recreational equipment and venues.
Employee open house
- Tour the recreation center.
- Learn about the Western Wellness program.
- Get a wellness assessment from Holtyn & Associates.
- Receive information about rec center memberships, fitness programs and intramural sports.
- Sign up for drawings and giveaways.
Some classes are repeated with different instructors.
- Yoga Glow
- Body Boot Camp
- Butts & Guts
- Barre Intensity
- Zumba Party
Neon glow party
The party begins at 6 p.m. with a club sport and vendor open house, photo booth, glow sticks and face painting. It ends with final giveaway drawings starting at 9:30 p.m. In between at set times, there will be activities such as:
- A badminton and a dodgeball tournament
- Scooter races
- A parachute party
- An ROTC inflatable obstacle course
- A dunk and a three-point contest
- Personal training staff availability for fitness assessments
- Minute-to-win-it contests for push-ups, pull ups, squats and bench presses
- An open climbing wall and a speed route competition at the climbing wall
About the Student Recreation Center
The Student Recreation Center offers memberships to WMU students and faculty and staff members as well as other affiliates, including retirees. The costs to use the facility varies. Benefits-eligible employees pay only the tax on their membership fee.
For fee structure details, visit wmich.edu/rec/facilities/access.
For more Student Recreation Center information, visit wmich.edu/rec.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.