The framework of the health informatics and information management major curriculum is composed of three components: the pre-HiiM core courses, the HiiM core courses and the hosting college specialty courses. The details of each component follow. A HiiM major will complete all required courses (pre-HiiM Core and HiiM core) and a minimum of nine hours of specialty track courses. The total credit hours to complete a HiiM major will be between 51 and 55 hours, depending on the actual courses taken by a student.
The following courses or their equivalents must be completed by each applicant for a HiiM major. Each course shall be completed with a grade C or above.
All of the following courses must be completed by an admitted HiiM major at Western Michigan University.
Each HiiM major shall take a minimum of nine credit hours of coursework from the hosting college where he/she obtains the baccalaureate degree. Details about specialty tracks are presented below.
College of Health and Human Services: one specialty tracks is planned to be offered:
Health Services: five health services courses are offered for this track
- HSV 4150 - Administrative Functions of Health Care (3 credits)
- HSV 4810 - Health Systems and the Environment (3 credits)
- HSV 4850 - Major Issues in Health and Human Services (3 credits)
- HSV 4860 - Health Literacy Practices (3 credits)
- HSV 4890 – Health and Human Services Independent Research (3 credits)
- NUR 4300 - Special Topics in Nursing
Haworth College of Business: three specialty tracks are planned to be offered:
Data Analytics: four courses are identified in this track
- CIS 2640 - Business Reporting and Analysis (3 credits)
- CIS 3640 – Business Analytics (3 credits)
- CIS 4640 - Business Data Mining (3 credits)
- CIS 3620 - IT Project Management (3 credits)
Health Information Networking: four courses are identified in this track.
- CIS 2660 - Networking and Data Communications (3 credits)
- CIS 5550A - Advanced Networking (3 credits)
- CIS 5550B - Network Security (3 credits)
- CIS 5550C - Health Information Networking (3 credits)
Management: three management courses are offered for this track.
- MGMT 3010 - Project Management (3 credits)
- MGMT 3520 - Human Resource Management (3 credits)
- MGMT 4540 - Employment Relations (3 credits)