Karen Morin Leadership Development Fund
Mission: This fund is intended to provide financial assistance to individuals interested in developing or improving their nursing leadership skills through education and/or training opportunities.
- Desire to attend the Sigma Theta Tau International Biennium Convention, the Sigma Theta Tau International Leadership Academy, or another nursing leadership development program
- Active member of Upsilon Epsilon chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International
(Members of the Executive Board and the Leadership Development Fund Committee of Upsilon Epsilon are not eligible for this monetary award.)
- Complete the Karen Morin Leadership Development application form, which includes a narrative of professional goals related to nursing leadership and how conference attendance would facilitate achievement of these goals. A current curriculum vita or resume is also required.
- Submit the application form and related information to the Upsilon Epsilon Chapter Executive Committee by May 1.
- Submit information supporting the request for financial assistance, such as conference brochures, conference objectives, course syllabus, course objectives and/or registration form(s).
- Submit signed, formal agreement for the use of the scholarship funds.
Judging of applications
Members of the K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee will review each application submitted and will judge each based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the professional goals narrative.
- Actual or potential contribution of the proposed leadership development opportunity to the nursing profession and Upsilon Epsilon.
- Demonstrated commitment to the nursing profession.
Allocation of funds
The number of scholarships and the amount of money for each scholarship awarded will be determined by the amount of funds requested, the number of applicants and the availability of sufficient funds in the Karen Morin Leadership Development Fund. Amaximum of $500 will be awarded to the selected applicant(s).
Morin Leadership Development Fund Committee
The committee will consist of four to eight active members of the Upsilon Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. The members will be appointed by the president and approved by the executive committee. One member should hold an earned doctorate and one chapter officer should be designated as ex-officio (usually the treasurer). K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee members will serve for two years. Staggering of terms is recommended to facilitate transition of committee responsibilities. Members may be reappointed twice, but may serve no longer than six continuous years.
Process for awarding of funds
- The Finance Committee will inform the K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee annually concerning the amount of money in the Upsilon Epsilon budget allocated for awards. This budget has been previously approved by the chapter and is administered by the Executive Committee.
- The K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, will announce and publicize the monetary award opportunity and application process to the Upsilon Epsilon membership annually.
- Leadership Development Fund Award application forms and instructions will be made available to the membership electronically.
- The K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee will evaluate all applications and make formal recommendation of fund award recipients to the Executive Committee. A five-year record of all monetary awards disbursed will be maintained by the Scholarship Committee. This record will include the name and address of each recipient, amount of each award, how the award was used and the selection criteria.
- The K.M. Leadership Development Fund Committee Chair will notify all applicants regarding the status of their application and the decision of the committee.
- Designated recipients must sign and return to the Executive Committee all related agreement forms prior to the awarding of funds.
- Recipients of the K.M. Leadership Development Fund Award will submit receipts and a brief summary of their leadership development learning experience within 30 days after program attendance. Recipients will be given the opportunity to provide a 10 to 15 minute presentation about the leadership development program that they attended to the general membership of the Upsilon Epsilon Chapter at its annual meeting. This may be done in lieu of a written summary of the activity.