Minimum application requirements and prerequisites
- Applications are due Feb. 1 of each year
- You must have a bachelor's degree completed (or nearly completed) from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3.0 GPA from the most recent 60 credits of coursework (please note: the average GPA that was accepted for the fall 2014 cohort was a 3.82)
- All prerequisites must be completed before the application is due. These include:
- BIOS 2110: Human Anatomy
- BIOS 2400: Human Physiology
- PSY 1000: General Psychology
- PSY 2500: Abnormal Psychology
- ENGL 1050: Thought and Writing
- HSV 2250: Growth, Development and Aging
- OT 2020: Orientation to OT—OT 2020 is offered through WMU in an online format, and can either be completed before application, or can be in progress when the application is due. Applications are due Feb. 1, so OT 2020 would have to be in progress during the spring semester at WMU. To register for OT 2020, you must first apply to WMU using the appropriate application. If you already have a bachelor's degree completed, please complete the graduate non-degree application. If you are currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at another institution, please complete the guest application
- Volunteer/work experience, cultural competency, leadership/teamwork experience, research experience
- Documented OT shadowing experience—Please use the evaluation form located on the last page of the OT application.
How to apply
- Apply to WMU using the graduate application by Jan. 1. Remember to send all official copies of your transcripts (from every school you have attended) to the WMU Office of Admissions. We must have everything on file, including the fall coursework you completed just prior to the February OT application deadline.
- Submit your master’s OT application no later than Feb. 1.
- Pay close attention to checklist on the first page
- The same application can be used for both the Kalamazoo (main campus) location and the downtown Grand Rapids location. Indicate your first and second location preference on the first page of the application.
Graduate admission process
Upon receipt of a complete and signed application, the department will:
- Calculate each applicant's GPA.
- Review and score applications
- Rank total application scores (highest to lowest) for all applicants.
- Admit applicants with the highest total application scores to fill the cohorts: 32 admitted to the Grand Rapids location, 16 admitted to the Kalamazoo location.
- A small number of applicants will be placed on a waiting list
If you have any further questions, please email Sarah Anderson, OT advisor, at email@example.com.
Additional copies of OT evaluation (last page of the OT application)