Practice in selection, analysis, and intervention using occupations and therapeutic strategies appropriate to persons with physical disabilities. Selected knowledge bases, frames of reference, and practice models related to human occupations, occupational performance, and occupational adaptation in the human system and related contexts of age, life role, disability, and environment will be emphasized.
Relationship to curriculum design
This is a foundation course with the focus on the OT process in clinical practice. Discovery of targeted information will be facilitated through structured didactic content, class discussion and small group work. Students will have the opportunity to apply information discovered through experiential lab activities. Students will reflect on readings as they complete assignments. Reflection on professional development will occur during the midterm and final evaluation of their personal professional development plan. Integration of targeted content will be facilitated through written assignments and in particular the case study project. The students will be evaluated on the OT Theory, Models and Frames of Reference Competency (6a) as follows: The competent occupational therapy graduate will demonstrate the skills necessary to critically analyze theories, models and frames of reference used in occupational therapy and be able to use theories for the development of frames of reference. The graduate will demonstrate knowledge of the history, development and use of theories, models and frames of reference in occupational therapy
By the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Explain OT process using concepts and language from the OT practice Framework (B.2.2)
- Sequence the components of OT process.
- Define activity analysis and application to the OT process (B.2.7.).
- Analyze an activity (B.2.7).
- Compare objective observations (facts) and subjective observations (assumptions).
- Give examples of objective observations (physical, cognitive, social and behavioral).
- Describe various forms of documentation used during the OT process.
- Document clinical observations according to protocol.
- List components of frame of reference and models of practice used in Physical Dysfunction.
- Give examples of frames of reference and models of practice
- Apply FOR to OT process components (B.2.11.), (B2.10).