Application deadline for fall: Feb. 15.
In addition to satisfying the admission requirements of The Graduate College at Western Michigan University, applicants are expected to:
- Have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of undergraduate work in philosophy, including:
- A course in the history of modern philosophy
- A course in symbolic logic
- Have achieved a 3.0 or above overall grade point average in the applicant's undergraduate philosophy courses
- Submit GRE scores
If you do not meet the above requirements, please contact the department's director of graduate admissions, Michael Pritchard, for advice. You may be able to obtain a provisional admission.
Completing the application
Prospective students from abroad must apply through the Haenicke Institute for Global Education and direct questions to them. U.S. citizens and those who have an I-551 Permanent Resident Card or have asylum or refugee status must apply using the online graduate application.
GRE scores must be sent directly to the WMU Office of Admissions.
In addition, submit:
- Departmental information sheet
- Personal statement (maximum length of two pages) highlighting your abilities, interests, and goals in pursuing an MA in philosophy
- Three letters of recommendation. Preferably, applicants should collect letters of recommendation (with the letter writer's signature across the envelope seal) and mail them together with a waiver form for each letter
- Writing sample
Department of Philosophy
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5328
Contact the department's director of graduate admissions, Michael Pritchard.