- Whereas, the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees and president strongly believe that it is essential to provide a safe, ethical and protective environment for all members of the University community; and
- Whereas the Board and president expect members of the campus community to always be vigilant for the well-being of colleagues, students and visitors and to be cognizant of the special needs of those populations the University serves that are particularly vulnerable to criminal abuse; and
- Whereas, the University has taken steps to ensure that all members of the University community have multiple ways to report possible criminal or ethical violations, including directly to the Department of Public Safety or anonymously through a secure website and phone line established through a well-respected external company;
Therefore, in furtherance of these principles, it is resolved that:
- It is the policy of Western Michigan University that all University employees, students, contractors, and other University-affiliated persons are charged with a duty to promptly report acts having any connection to the University, that they in good faith believe could be criminal in nature. Such reports shall be made to the University’s Department of Public Safety or through a secure website and phone line established for that purpose and publicized on campus.
- This policy is not intended to supersede or conflict with any other duty to report conduct as required by law or University policies, rules, requirements, and collective bargaining agreements. The president and board treasurer are each empowered to enact additional requirements and procedures to effectuate this policy and make amendments as they deem appropriate in accordance with its purposes.
(Adopted by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees Dec. 8, 2011.)