Pursuant to the HIPAA Privacy Rules, it is the policy of the Western Michigan University Group Health Plan (“Plan”) to prepare and disseminate a Summary Notice and a Notice of Privacy Practices (“Notice”) as follows.
- The Summary Notice and the Notice of Privacy Practices are attached to this Policy. The Privacy Officer has sole authority to change these Notices.
- The Privacy Officer is responsible for distribution and document retention.
- The attached Notices will be distributed to all named insureds on or before April 14, 2003. Thereafter, the then-current Notices will be distributed when a named insured first enrolls in the Plan and to all named insureds within 60 days of a material change in the Notices.
- The Notices must be communicated electronically on Western Michigan University's Web site.
- Notice may be provided electronically via e-mail if a plan participant has agreed to this form of electronic distribution and that agreement has not been withdrawn. We will infer agreement if our enrollment or employment forms request an e-mail address and a participant provides one. Advance agreement will not be required if the participant has regular access to Western Michigan University's electronic information system at his/her worksite and can print an e-mail document.
- If an e-mail attempt at delivery fails, a written copy of the Notices will be provided.
- Individuals have a right to a copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices upon request.
- On April 14, 2006, and every three years thereafter the Plan will remind existing plan participants about the availability of the Notice of Privacy Practices and how to obtain a copy of the Notice.
- A copy of each Notice will be retained for six years from either the date first created or the date last in effect, whichever date is later.