The Department of Political Sciences at Western Michigan University announces the winners of its awards and scholarships at the honors luncheon in April of each year. With the exception of the William Ritchie Prize in Political Theory, an application is required for all awards and scholarships. The application includes an essay by the applicant and the names of three faculty references.
Deadline: February 1 unless otherwise noted.
the dr. claude and nancy phillips dissertation research award
- Awarded annually for up to $500.
- The awardee shall be enrolled in good standing in the PhD program and shall have achieved candidacy before the application deadline.
- The funds can go only to defray actual research costs and may not be used to cover living expenses or tuition.
Arden J. Elsasser Memorial Award
A scholarship established by the League of Women Voters of the Kalamazoo area in memory of Arden J. Elsasser, who gave faithful service to this organization and contributed significantly to the Kalamazoo community.
- This annual award is approximately $400.
- Graduate students may be nominated by faculty or self-nominated.
John R. Borsos Endowed Scholarship
This award, intended for graduate students of political science, was established in memory of John R. Borsos by his family. An excellent student of political science, John R. Borsos received the M.A. degree posthumously.
- This annual award is approximately $2,000.
- Students enrolled in the political science graduate program in the fall semester are eligible.
- Application is made through nomination by faculty or by self-nomination.
George Klein Scholarship in Central and East European Studies
Undergraduate students (and in certain circumstances, graduate students) may apply for the George Klein Scholarship for Study Abroad in Central and East European Studies. The late Dr. Klein was a longtime member of the faculty of the Department of Political Science and devoted his career to the study of the region.
- Application is open to majors in political science.
- Preference will be given to students planning to enroll in a WMU Study Abroad program in the Czech Republic.
- Eligible countries of study: Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia
- Deadline for spring semester: Oct. 14. Deadline for summer and fall semesters: March 14.
The William A. Ritchie Prize in Political Theory
This prize in political theory honors William A. Ritchie who taught political theory and philosophy in the department from the 1960s until 2001.
- Awarded annually to an undergraduate or a graduate student who has written an excellent paper in the field.
- The political theory faculty in the department selects the recipient of the prize.
Howard Wolpe Scholarship for African Study
Former Congressman Howard Wolpe endowed this fund to support study abroad or field research in Africa.
- Awarded annually for up to $1,000.
- Student will be engaged in the study of Africa or selected African nations.
- Political science graduate students who have demonstrated academic excellence are eligible.
- Students must submit an application in the academic year before they plan travel to Africa.