FAQCommon concerns: answers to FAQ by students


Registration and scheduling

I have become ill and will not be able to finish the semester, what do I need to do?

A student can withdraw from courses up to a specific date indicated in the course offerings booklet. After that specific date they need to appeal for a hardship withdrawal in the Office of the Ombudsman. Approvals require documentation.

I have decided not to return to WMU, what should I do?

Officially withdraw from all your courses and contact Housing and Financial Aid if it is not at the end of a semester.

I have paid my tuition and have decided not to return. How do I receive a refund?

The student must withdraw through the Office of the Registrar and then appeal with Accounting Services for a refund.

I did not attend last semester and would like to return, what do I need to do?

Students retain their status as eligible to take courses for an entire year before they have to reapply with the University.

I would like to take a course at WMU. What should I do?

Please contact the Admissions Office, 269-387-2000, or see the Admissions website, and apply for permission to take courses.

If I need a course and was unable to register for it, what should I do? Who can I talk to?

Students are continually dropping and adding to their schedules during the registration period; so you can continue to try to add a course until the end of the drop/add period. There are a number of options in fulfilling general education requirements and the course catalog outlines the possible selections. Contact the department offering the course for other options, or college advisors for assistance in choosing other courses.

Back to faq

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, costs of attendance, and campus life.

Office of the Registrar
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5256 USA
269 387-4300 | 269 387-3545