How to drop or withdrawal


Initiated by the student during the WMU open registration period online through GoWMU. No documentation is required, but the student is encouraged to consult with the instructor, academic advisor, and financial aid advisor (if applicable). Dropped courses do not appear on the student’s transcript. Beginning the day after registration closes, students may no longer drop a course. Students now must "withdraw" to officially stop taking a course.


Two types of withdrawals are possible, Student-initiated withdrawal and Hardship Panel-approved withdrawal. Courses from which the student withdraws will appear on the student’s transcript with a non-punitive "W" grade.

Students may not withdraw from courses or programs when any unresolved Academic Integrity charge exists or to avoid any academic penalty resulting from an Academic Integrity violation for which the student is found responsible. If a student has been found to withdraw from any or all courses or programs to avoid an Academic Integrity charge, the student shall be re-enrolled so that any such charges may be resolved.

Student-Initiated Withdrawal

A student may withdraw from one or more courses without academic penalty online through GoWMU, from the end of the open registration until the last date for student-initiated withdrawal. No documentation is required, but the student is encouraged to consult with the instructor, academic advisor, and financial aid advisor (if applicable).

Withdrawing with a Hold

Students with a hold (other than an Academic Integrity hold) may request a withdrawal in person at the Registrar's Office or in writing to using the WMU assigned email address.

Hardship Panel-Approved Withdrawal

Withdrawal from a course at any time after the end of the student–initiated withdrawal period will only be permitted through the Hardship Panel withdrawal process of GAPDAC, and documentation as to the nature of the hardship is required. The Hardship Panel will determine if a hardship exists and whether a withdrawal is warranted. The decision of the Hardship Panel is final and not subject to further appeals. Except for documented and exceptional circumstances, hardship petitions will NOT be accepted more than one year after the end of the term or session for which the hardship was documented. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with the University Ombudsman before initiating a hardship-based withdrawal appeal.

Hardships may include (but not be limited to): severe physical or mental illness; injury of student or close family member; death of a close family member; act of violence; and exigencies of military service (where established procedures are not applicable). Examples of situations NOT considered a "hardship" include (but are not limited to): student dislikes course, teaching method or professor; student considers course too difficult; student has taken on more academic or other obligations than student can handle; change in major so course no longer needed; financial constraints; any situations of resolved or unresolved academic integrity charges.

Forms and Further Information

Appropriate forms may be obtained from the University Ombudsman office or Web site at

Specific deadlines and details concerning any tuition refund that may be allowed can be found online at the Registrar's Web site,

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, costs of attendance, and campus life.

Office of the Registrar
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5256 USA
269 387-4300 | 269 387-3545