New veteran students
- Complete VA Form 22-1990. This should be done at the earliest possible time after you have been admitted to the University.
- Provide a certified copy of your separation papers, DD-214 (active duty) or an original "Notice of Basic Eligibility" from your reserve unit, (Reservists).
- Contact the Veterans certifying official at (269) 387-4115 for assistance in obtaining and completing the Veterans Certification Information form.
Transfer veteran students
- Complete VA Form 22-1995. This should be done at the earliest possible time after you have been admitted to the University.
- Contact the Veterans Certifying Official at (269) 387-4115 for assistance in obtaining and completing the Veterans Certification Information form.
To better comply with VA regulations, you should know that…
- Students using Veterans Benefits at WMU are strongly encouraged to see an Academic Advisor prior to registering for classes before each semester. Courses not required for your degree program will not be certified with the VA.
- Once you know your classes can be certified, you are required to complete the WMU Certification Form. Once you complete the form, your classes will be certified with the VA. If you do not complete this form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office, you will not receive benefits from the VA for that semester.
The certification form must be completed each year.
Complete a Change of Address Form and file it with the VA certification official.
Change in status
Dropping, adding, or withdrawing of courses on your registration must be reported immediately to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office. If you do not, this could cause an overpayment which would affect your future Educational Benefits.
A grade of “X” or “E” must be reported to the Registrar’s Office within fifteen (15) days from the last date of attendance. Failure to contact the certifying official of the last date of attendance will result in an adjustment of reported hours back to the first day of the semester.
All advance pay requests must be made at least 35 days prior to the first day of the semester.
Any questions may be directed to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office located on the third floor of the Seibert Administration Building.