Western Michigan University active duty policy
Active duty policy and procedures
Students who are called to Active Duty will need to pay immediate attention to a number of academic, financial, and record concerns prior to their departure from campus. The federal government and the University have modified numerous regulations and policies to assist these students.
Dropping all classes: Classes will be dropped for students who are activated to duty. Depending on the time of the semester and individual circumstances, this could mean one of the following: The student can drop all classes and nothing will appear on the transcript, or depending on the time of the semester, the student can meet with the professor to see if he/she could receive an"I" in the course. When an incomplete is given in this situation, the student will have two years to make up the work and remove the incomplete grade.
- 100% refund: If the student chooses to withdraw from all classes, a 100% refund of tuition and fees will be provided to the student.
- Housing contracts: There will be no penalty imposed for terminating the housing contract prior to the end of the term. The refund will be calculated based on the time remaining in the semester or session.
- Parking fees: A 100% refund to the parking fee is available. The student will need to provide as much of the sticker as possible. If no sticker is submitted, a refund will not be given.
- Books: The Bookstore will provide 100% refund on returned books.
- Student loans: Contact Financial Aid. Administrative forbearance and deferment benefits are available for active duty call-up, per the federal government regulations.
- A single point of contact has been established at the Registrar’s Office.
- A copy of the Activation Papers is required from the student.
- Student needs to contact the Registrar’s Office and bring in their paperwork.
- The Registrar’s Office is responsible for providing the student with pertinent information about potential refunds, academic affects, and overall impact.
- The Registrar’s office is responsible for ensuring enrollment is adjusted, VA Certification is terminated, and for maintaining a list and count of all activated students. The Registrar’s Office maintains a list of students who request incomplete grades. The Registrar’s Office action will automatically trigger an action by Financial Aid for one of two items:
- If there is no financial aid, the Financial Aid office will implement the tuition refund process.
- If there is financial aid, the Financial Aid office will complete the calculation for the return of federal financial aid funds. Once completed, AR and Financial Aid will follow current procedures
The student will need to fill out a WMU re-admit form, available online at www.wmich.edu/admissions. To expedite the process, please state on the form that you are a returning veteran.
The student will need to come to the Registrar’s Office to fill out some paperwork with the Veteran Affair’s representative. If the student has a DD-214, they should bring it in with them.
If you have more questions, please contact Brenda Hamlyn, Veteran Affairs representative, Registrar’s Office, (269) 387-4115 or email@example.com.