Sociology is an increasingly popular degree choice in U.S. higher education. The Department of Sociology faculty at Western Michigan University will encourage you to begin asking questions and doing research in the study of culture and socialization which involves comparing different cultures and how individuals get socialized to behave within those specific cultures.
The study of sociology examines how people learn the norms and values of their society. Students that do well in our program and pursue going on to graduate school have been very successful in their graduate degrees.
Undergraduate programs are designed for four-year students and students transferring from other colleges.
- Criminal justice major (33 hours); program overview
- Sociology major (30 hours)
- Sociology major—social psychology concentration (30 hours)
- Criminal justice minor (18 hours)
- Sociology minor (18 hours)
- Sociology minor—social psychology concentration (18 hours)